Nicholas1

My Life-purpose

5 posts in this topic

Hey! My name is Nicholas, I'm 17 years old and I have issues with my life-purpose right now ... I am currently studying sciences, but I don't think it's the right thing for me...

I started to watch Leo's video at the age of 14 and read  two or three books about self-development. It really helped me because at the time, I was a people-pleaser, I was fat, I had anxiety problems, and I was not confident at all. My parents at the time didn't really care about those problems of mine, but with the help of Leo, I was able to solve these problems.  I now have a lot of friends and I feel really confident.

All my life, I've always been the type of guy that likes arts, writing stories, nature, drawing and music. I was not really good at those things, but they made me happy. The problem is that when I entered high school, my parents really pushed me to study sciences and have good grades. In fact, I had really good grades in high school, I was in a good school with enriched classes and I learned about two languages. I felt that it was the right way for me, and for years, I studied very hard. I stopped to draw and to write  because I thought that these things are useless. I thought that I was in the right path and that I would probably become an optometrist or maybe a scientist. But when I entered college, I realized that it is not the right thing for me. I started to dislike school, and finally, to hate it. My grades went down, and I failed two classes: Maths and sciences. 

I was ashamed of myself, and no matter how hard I studied, there was something wrong: I could not find the motivation to have good grades, like I was doing in high school. I realized that I changed and that the only reason why I liked sciences and maths is because I had good grades. I realized that I don't like having someone that tells me what to do, I don't want to have a boss. I want to be my own boss, I want to choose what to do and how I do it. I watched a lot of videos about how to find my passion, and I bought a program to draw virtually and I really liked it. Even if I'm really not good at it, I know that in time I will. I started to make music, to draw, to create things.

I met a career adviser twice, and we talked a lot about it. She told me that it would be a good idea that I stop to learn sciences and that I start my own business. She told that I should go in a program in visual art, and if I don't like it I could change to psychology when I will go to a university.

I personally like the idea, and I am ready to work hard for that, but my parents don't like the idea because they think that I won't find a good job.

I think you answered your own question. Do what resonates with you and follow your passion. Don't worry about your parents concerns on this topic because what your parents want for you and what you want for yourself are two different things.  You want an amazing fulfilling life of doing what you love while your parents simply want you to survive and be safe.  Don't survive, THRIVE!

I highly recommend reading The Alchemist (if you havent already) as that book would really apply to the situation you are in. 

@Systemic  Hey, yes I actually read that book! It changed my life forever. Thanks for you answer! But an other problem is that I don't want to make them sad. 

17 hours ago, Nicholas1 said:

@Systemic  Hey, yes I actually read that book! It changed my life forever. Thanks for you answer! But an other problem is that I don't want to make them sad. 

Whatever you do, always respect your parents, dude

But never listen to them for life advice. Most(almost all) parents have an ego when it comes to their children whether they are aware of it or not. Apart from the fact that most grownups are just as clueless about life as teenagers are, maybe even more so.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

Unless your parents are artists themselves or extremely open-minded about career choice, don't expect any help or understanding. It's hard to not share with your closest people, but it's necessary. Being creative is a good start, but until you begin really studying the craft, you won't know it it's your passion. Choose any topic you're interested in and get serious instruction. Spend a year or so doing this, then decide.