JD8

Do I Fall Asleep While Meditating Or Get Higher Consciousness?

3 posts in this topic

Hey,

Firstly: hi to everyone. I’ve been following Actualized.org for a while now, I’m super grateful to Leo for what he does and how he is an inspirational and life-changing factor for me – and I’m excited to join the forum too!

Now, down to the subject.

Sometimes, as I meditate for slightly longer than my normal 15-20 minutes, I catch myself kind of drifting away – especially when listening to meditative music.

I’m confused though whether it’s me getting into the flow, reaching some slightly different level of consciousness, or maybe… I just get to that pre-sleep phase, where you don’t sleep yet but you are not fully awake either.

It would be surprising if it was the latter, as I’m not sleepy or tired when I meditate and most of the time I stay alert. On the other hand, it quite does feel like the pre-sleep stage.

Do you know it? What is it? What do you think?

@JD8 Welcome. It's said that meditation is a forth state of consciousness. Waking, sleeping, dreaming being the first 3. If I had to describe what I experience in meditation I would say it is silently observing a still mind.

7 hours ago, JD8 said:

Hey,

Firstly: hi to everyone. I’ve been following Actualized.org for a while now, I’m super grateful to Leo for what he does and how he is an inspirational and life-changing factor for me – and I’m excited to join the forum too!

Now, down to the subject.

Sometimes, as I meditate for slightly longer than my normal 15-20 minutes, I catch myself kind of drifting away – especially when listening to meditative music.

I’m confused though whether it’s me getting into the flow, reaching some slightly different level of consciousness, or maybe… I just get to that pre-sleep phase, where you don’t sleep yet but you are not fully awake either.

It would be surprising if it was the latter, as I’m not sleepy or tired when I meditate and most of the time I stay alert. On the other hand, it quite does feel like the pre-sleep stage.

Do you know it? What is it? What do you think?

Sounds similar to the alpha brain wave state. And yes I think it's more of "getting into the flow, reaching some slightly different level of consciousness."

That said I think your closer to astral projection than meditation when in this state. But meditation and astral projection are very similar and in a way astral projection is a certain type of meditation. Astral projection can be much more effective at helping you go inward. I suggest you check it out and give it a try.

That said I think there is unique benefits to other types of meditation. Such as open eye's meditation, or seeing meditation, there's shamatha and vipassana meditation. There are many types of meditation that comes with there own unique benefits. The key is finding the ones that help you the most. And don't forget to use Leo's concentration exercise to help you. 

Concentration vs Meditation - How To Develop Concentration