dude

Life Purpose - Self-development Vs Programming - Confused

5 posts in this topic

So I have a question: Do you think it is a viable option to develop apps and websites plus at the same time developing understanding of self-development to become a life-coach?

This is my situation, I'm 19 and still studying computer science. I know I can't be a self-development coach of some kind because I lack life experience but I know this is what I am most passionate about and what I mostly enjoy doing. Still I need to get life experience, so I could set up a career in software development and then later in life when I have more leverage because of life experience, status, money and already mastered a skill people will listen to me more because I have more "value" switch to full time self-development.

Now I know that when you do 2 things at the same time it doesn't really work so I could also put my development career on autopilot, get a reasonable paying job and focus all the rest on self-development. But this will inhibit me from really becoming the best at software development and I don't know if self-development will ever become profitable.

So it comes down to: should I first master software development (which I still love doing) and do self-development only in free time. Or should I try to master personal development (which is what I really believe in can change the world) and as a side job do programming to support my self-development?

Thanks for reading and replying ^_^

This is a very tricky thing because if you go down a wrong path (meaning one that is not aligned with your life purpose), you can become complacement and comfortable in a secure job and not follow up with the life coach path.

Also, self development is extremely profitable right now. In the next 1000 years humans won't run out of personal problems. Problems will only get worse with the booming of technology and lack of self mastery, so this is the best time in history to pursue a career in it.

Setting what you are most passionate about as a plan B or something that you pursue only after you feel you are secure is a losing game because it comes from a losing mentality.

Loser mentality

• What if it won't be profitable enough? What if no one would pay me? What if I am not good enough yet? What if it's too early?

All of these questions come from fear and insecurity.

Winner mentality  

• What do I need to do to in order to make progress as fast as possible? How do I become so good that the competition is irrelevant? 
  • What business models can I apply to automate parts of my work? How do I get in touch with a community of people that are pursuing the same thing?

All these questions come from a proactive attitude, a growth mindset and a place of self confidence.

Don't let your mind trick you. 

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@Dan Arnautu Thanks for your in depth reply!

So I'm just making excuses, but what about the reality that people don't listen to 19 year olds without life experience? 

........ after some thought .....

So what do you think about the idea of setting up a software business as a tool of getting more life experience in order to leave that business and create a personal development business?

@dude No problem.

I don't encourage dropping web development entirely either. One powerful thing that you can do is to leverage all the skills you have into your deepest passion. If you know how to create awesome websites and apps, you can use that to create your own personal website (as a life coach) and that will save you a lot of money.

I also had to choose between fitness and music. I figured out I had to triple down on my strengths (I had a natural talent in music, not so much in fitness although I am still much better than 99% of personal trainers in both physique and coaching). Unless you can be a wordclass performer,  unless you can be in the 10% of the best in the industry, don't bother. You need a great vision, not to become ”just another life coach” out of a dozen. You will lose motivation quickly like that.

In my case I thought that, ok, how do I leverage my fitness and nutrition skills in my music career? Most musicians are unhealthy, so I can create blog posts on how musicians can keep themselves fit an healthy. Also, by being very fit, it helps my image as a musician (on stage, posters and what not). A lot of untapped potential there. 

Also, most music related youtubers don't treat the mindset aspect of being a musician. They teach musical theory, harmony, techniques and what not, but they don't approach the mindset itself. With my (soon to achieve) degree in philosophy, I can leverage all of that to create a succesful youtube channel that approaches anything from habits to goals to limiting beliefs musicians have + maybe touching a bit on some metaphysical concepts that are related.

Also, while working towards my degree in philosophy, I acquired great communication skills and now I know how to phrase complex concepts and make them easy to understand, which would help me as a youtuber and a guitar teacher.

See how all of these add up if you look at them from the right perspective?

If you still don't have big responsibilities like kids and what not and if you still live with your parents (which is the best case scenario), you can go at it full throttle on the life coach thing for 1-3 years. Do an experiment. You can always go back to the software thing if it doesn't work out. If you are in your twenties, don't waste those years. These are the years where you are able to grind the most. Live in a room with 5-10 other people if necessary in order to achieve what you want.

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard