Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tony19

Combining All Personal Development Ideas

4 posts in this topic

Personal Development is a very long term and complex endeavor. There is just so much that could be done to change and improve our lifestyle, which is great. However, I've been getting a bit overwhelmed by all the concepts, always having the urge to fit something into a model. I don't want to be sitting all day making models and not actually doing anything productive, but I also feel like with so much information available, that I can develop a really effective strategy to digest all this material efficiently. Any suggestions on how to approach this without constantly feeling overwhelmed? Thanks in advance.

@Tony19 You eat an elephant one piece at a time. What's the rush? Get comfy and dig in. This is the whole point of your 70 or so years here in this life. There is nowhere to get to. So enjoy the process of research and discovery.

Just balance your theory with practice.

A combined, holistic understanding of all the concepts will take you at least 10 to 20 years. And that's assuming your doing it actively every day, and are wise enough to avoid most of the traps of this work.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 5/30/2017 at 5:08 PM, Leo Gura said:

@Tony19 You eat an elephant one piece at a time. What's the rush? Get comfy and dig in. This is the whole point of your 70 or so years here in this life. There is nowhere to get to. So enjoy the process of research and discovery.

Just balance your theory with practice.

A combined, holistic understanding of all the concepts will take you at least 10 to 20 years. And that's assuming your doing it actively every day, and are wise enough to avoid most of the traps of this work.

Thanks Leo. I have realized that I needed to change my mentality to "I have to master everything or else I will fail" to "This is an opportunity for me to improve myself,  one area at a time"

Apply little hacks to your life like slowly taking control over an unwieldy machine.  Get your daily routine instituted.  Work on infrastructure as Leo calls it.  Get your daily meditation practice wired.  Work on developing a great morning routine.  Get your diet wired in.  Rid time wasting addictions from your life.  Work on getting clearer about what you want by making lists.  Basically, start to get your modules wired into a routine.  And then look to remove stuff from your life that is dead-weight.  But start slowly.  Maybe aim to rig in one module per week.  Personal development is just as much about practice as theory.  Start practicing mindfulness all the time, not just when you are meditating.  Theory is great, but practicing is just as great.  Theory informs practice and practice informs theory, so they work in kind of a circle.  One hand washes the other.  Maybe it is time for you to start on the practice end of the pool and swim around over there for a while.  That may work for you.

Edited by Joseph Maynor