Chimp

Meditation Back Bend Problem

13 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone

I’m new here on this wonderful forum and this is my first post, so here goes :)

I’ve been meditating for 8 months now, 20 minutes each day and basically switching between the do nothing and clear your mind technique. A common problem that I experience is that over the course of the meditation session my back tends to slowly bend forward, especially when I’m tired. I usually only begin to notice this when it gets really uncomfortable and then I need to completely straighten up my back, which is a big move and kind of ruins the entire sit still idea. I already use a chair to support my back.

Is it bad to make small re-adjustment moves during the session? Is this just a matter of not being focussed enough? Any tips or experiences with this are welcome.

Cheers!

Haha love your name and avatar.

I experience this too, I think your question is, is it okay to move during meditation? I think you should question why you think you need to have your back straight ;)

Memento Mori

In which position do you meditate? I like to meditate in full lotus with a meditation pillow mainly because it's very stable. I move my hip a little bit to the front. But even then I bend forward from time to time. I just move into a straight position again. It doesn't seem to have a big impact. At least not as much as let's say moving an arm.

"The death of the mind is the birth of wisdom." -- Nisargadatta Maharaj

@Truth Thank you, It seemed pretty fitting to me :) Indeed, I wonder how much movement you are allowed to make during meditation. I believe I heard Leo say in one of his videos that you should keep physical control while letting your mind loose. Same thing with your eyes, can you look around without moving your head?

@ZenMonkey I just sit in a comfortable chair. Feet flat on the ground with my back against the back of the chair. I havent tried any other position as I think it would be even more difficult to keep a good posture. Or is that a misunderstanding?

Btw, thanks to both of you for the replies :) 

@Chimp Yes, you should adjust, in my opinion. You were already moving without notice until you became aware of it. Simply make the adjustment, and continue.

A little more: if you have a cold, your nose may run, I believe it is ok to have a handkerchief nearby [it is what I learned anyway]. All the itches, twitches, pangs, and so on, will happen and those should be accepted as the fleeting things they are. The summary of what I am saying is your proper posture is the main physical thing you should adhere to, that is where stillness should exist., in the proper posture.

Personally, I spent much of my life in the military. As you might imagine, I am somewhat permanently banged up from that. A long story short: should I not meditate because of injury? I think meditation is of the utmost importance. Through it I have a greater understanding of much of my life, and it helps me understand what I should improve throughout my life, including many things physical.

I am not sure what is going on with the back, Chimp, but perhaps you have a signal to try some exercise, conditioning, physical therapy, and so on.

Remember meditation is practice (a progression).

Edited by WarPants

You can move if  you have to - no problem. Please don't get obsessed with techniques. Be gentle with yourself. Whatever comes up just BE that. When you feel you're moving because you are tired notice it and consciously bring yourself in the right position. 

Once again obsession with breathing techniques, meditation techniques (am I doinig it correct?), etc. are a very common trap in which many people fall. Meditating their asses off for years just to perfect a certain technique. It's not about that. Whatever you are, whereever you are - that's enough. Just BE it.

Edited by Ludwig

18 hours ago, Chimp said:

@ZenMonkey I just sit in a comfortable chair. Feet flat on the ground with my back against the back of the chair. I havent tried any other position as I think it would be even more difficult to keep a good posture. Or is that a misunderstanding?

In the end it doesn't really matter which position you choose. For me full lotus is just the most comfortable in a sense. My legs are in a fixed position and they can't move easily, three points of my body touch the ground. So I have a very strong and stable foundation. And if I move my hip a little bit to the front it's fairly easy to maintain the position. So if you are able to do a full lotus it's actually easier to keep a good position. Just because it supports you more.

"The death of the mind is the birth of wisdom." -- Nisargadatta Maharaj

Thanks guys, this helps a lot. I already thought I was worrying to much about the technique (perfectionist that I am), but I wasn't sure how to deal with it. 

I'm not sure why this post has inspired me but it has. I haven't meditated on a regular basis since last summer.  I fell off my pattern.  Anyway, this post,  for some reason, has me back on board. I only do things that I truly enjoy and want to do, so I don't force things like meditation.. I wasn't feeling it for awhile but I have been inspired by this post.  My guess is the picture of a chimp has inspired me.?

this post also reminded me of a book I read many years ago, "it's here now, are you?" By bhagavan das.  In the book he made reference to a "strait strait strait back..."  I never forgot that, and his book and that reference is in my mind occasionally when I meditate...

I plan to resume my "first thing in the am meditation" tmrw! I'm back to being my better self!

@cly Glad to hear my monkey problem helped someone out :) cheers!

The center of gravity in our bodies is at Lumbar Vertebrae 5 and Sacrum 1. That's exactly the area the Traditional Chinese Philosophies place the center as well, which is one of the three Tan Tiens, (the other two being the Anahata/Heart Chakra Area and Ajna/Third Eye Area). Bodyworkers/Massage Therapists make a great effort to come from the center of gravity when applying pressure in a massage. A trick I learned to help become aware of the Tan Tien is to use your Navel/Belly Button and Point it outward. This will immediately correct one's posture. 

Body_Alignment_Figure12.jpg

Edited by Lha Bho
Because Dragons

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

On 2/17/2016 at 2:22 PM, Ludwig said:

You can move if  you have to - no problem. Please don't get obsessed with techniques.

a very common trap in which many people fall.

Whatever you are, whereever you are - that's enough. Just BE it.

I have been wondering about this issue and came to the conclusion that if I am truth, which is never changing and always it, then it cannot be accessed by rigid techniques alone. They are of our own perception of how it all works, anyways, right? They are well and good for the process but it all begins with being calm and patient in settling into the seat before embarking on the ride.

What trips me up is wanting to ensure that I will remain comfortable for the session so I can be restless at first. My thoughts that I just mentioned are the same as a mantra to myself when I'm deviating from the task at hand. Haha ? 

Edited by ArabiaNytes

On 3/28/2016 at 9:26 PM, Lha Bho said:

The center of gravity in our bodies is at Lumbar Vertebrae 5 and Sacrum 1. That's exactly the area the Traditional Chinese Philosophies place the center as well, which is one of the three Tan Tiens, (the other two being the Anahata/Heart Chakra Area and Ajna/Third Eye Area). Bodyworkers/Massage Therapists make a great effort to come from the center of gravity when applying pressure in a massage. A trick I learned to help become aware of the Tan Tien is to use your Navel/Belly Button and Point it outward. This will immediately correct one's posture. 

Body_Alignment_Figure12.jpg

Very helpful, I just fixed my posture and it feels great already! Is this Nirvana :O?? :D

Edited by Dodoster

🌟

🌟  The  🌟 Logos 🌟

🌟