Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ella90

Speaking Skills And Diction

4 posts in this topic

Hello.

I would like to ask how do you exactly develop speaking skills? what are the steps?

Sometimes I consider myself stupid because I don't quite sure how to express myself and how to get to the point. That is the main reason why I prevent myself from meeting new people. I feel I have nothing to offer and I don't want to waist no body's time.

Also I feel I have some kind of anxiety with speaking so I guess to figure it out too. And my mind is processing stuff much faster than I can communicate, therefore I feel I have diction problems. The big challenge is that I am studying abroad and not even using my native language.

So in conclusion my biggest problems:

1. comunicative skills

2. anxiety of speaking

3. diction problems

Any kind suggestions?

:)

By the way it's clearly that Leo has worked on his speaking skills and I remember a video he was talking about getting rid of the "ahh.. ahmm" in while speaking. Just I don't quite remember the title of the video. Would be really interesting to know what methods you used @Leo Gura :):):)

Your communication skills (what you wrote above) appear to be sufficient to state your case clearly enough.

It is true that with some guided practice this can be made even better,  but it does the job.   Maybe if you start keeping a personal journal at home, then you can write in it every day and see how it progresses with time.   Also, by reading certain material regularly you can see how people are expressing themselves.  Pay close attention to how they structure their sentences and the words they use.  Then try to introduce one little new thing every time you write in your journal.   Write in short sentences mainly.  Do not try to say everything in one sentence. A simple rule of thumb is: for every new thought begin a new sentence.  If it seems that  one thought is a little complicated then breaks it up into little parts so that you can write 2 or 3 sentences about that thought.   It takes a bit of practice, but if you do it every day, then you will see your skill improving.

As to speaking skills, that one is difficult to do in writing here.   But if you can get the hang of writing in short, to the point sentences, then speak them out loud, you will start to develop some comfort in conveying your thoughts through the spoken word.

1. Look  at the thought you want to express.

2. See the words your thoughts seem to be suggesting.

3. See if the words can be said in a short sentence or 2 or 3 sentences.

4. Don't rush to blurt out your thought, but say it slowly with confidence.

Learn a new word every day.  Reader's Digest Magazine used to have a new word every month, I don't know if they still do.  If you hear a new word and would like to add it to year vocabulary you can look it up in a dictionary.  Online on the internet you can simply type the word followed by the word "meaning" or the word "definition" and you will get a whole list of dictionaries you can look at.

There are also various courses available at adult learning centres and community colleges if you are really keen about learning speaking skills. You can also join clubs like Toastmasters.

Joy :)

Step 1: Speak often and regularly in front of people or a camera.

Step 2: Repeat.

Step 3: Success!

I highly recommend joining a local Toastmaster's club in your area. Check their website for club locations around the world.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Stop telling yourself you have nothing to offer and are wasting people's time, first off. It's not the truth, and you are hurting yourself believing that. 

Take notice of how people really just talk for the sake of talking. Most of the time, they aren't saying much worth saying. As you realize it, it will help you deal with your anxiety. 

I think sometimes the problem is that people aren't really listening in conversation. People tend to be so focused on what they think they need to respond with, that they lose the ability to have spontaneous, authentic discussion. 

All most people want is a really good listener. Focus on developing your listening skills and you will find your speaking skills automatically improve, and the things you say will be more genuine and inspired.