Dave84

Help With Youth Unemployment In My Local Area

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me some critique / additional points on what I have written below.  My area has a high youth unemployment rate and there also exists some post-civil war issues, one of which is defiantly victimhood mentally. The previous generation is at best emotionally unavailable by and large and talking or thinking about feelings in most part is perceived as a fantasy and weak minded, especially with young males.

I want to put together a talk on unemployment and try and volunteer myself to the youth clubs and present it.  They do get quite a lot of good education on practical ways of finding a job but I wanted to take a shot on starting to change mind-sets.  The points below are my rough notes on how I would like to present the talk and would really love any input or ideas and you critique

Thanks in advance.

Responsibility:

You must take full and unequivocal responsibility for where you are in your life at the present moment.  This is a not cliché this involves you seriously underpinning all your beliefs that tell you that you were in some way a victim, or it is somehow not your fault you are in the position you find yourself in.  Even if it wasn’t directly your fault, you still need to take full responsibility for yourself and ensure your mentality comes from a place whereas you know that you are where you are due to your actions, and it is up to you to do something about it.

Acceptance:

After taking full responsibility for where you are, you need must accept where you are. This is probably the single most important thing you can do,  especially if you have any sense of entitlement baggage due to pervious employment.  If you really want employment ASAP then you have to accept fully that your unemployed and some roles may require you to start from the bottom once again.  Think big, dream big, but start small, for where you are with what you have.  Not allowing victim thinking to  creep in and give you  limited believes around what is out there.  Accept that the job market changes every single day and unless you are checking it every single day then you are not in a position to ever say that there is no job out there for you.  Accept that your big break may have to come by you offering to showcase your skills for free first, or for little reward and believe in your yourself enough to see this through.

Consistent Action:

Now you have a solid base, you must start consistent action.  Again not another cliché, so are you really doing at least one thing every single day that is getting you closer to your goal of being employed. if so is this either enough / or the maximum amount you can do. How are you planning your week to ensure that you are making full use of your time.  When you have checked the market, worked on your CV are you planning homing your skills?  Are you keeping up to date with job news and other markets. Are consistently prospecting with business in your area.  Are you joining forums, chats and checking local government schemes.  Are putting yourself in a perpetual state of discomfort ensuing that this is the main focus of your life.  What are doing to minimise  distractions and how are you ensuring that you improving on all of these points every day.

Habit of delivering more than you're paid for:

The consistent action, and your improved mind-set will start to deliver results, but this is not a time to rest.  You need to get in the habit of delivering more than you're paid for, especially in voluntary or training roles, taking the absolute  most out of the opportunity  and using it as a springboard to expand, network, whatever it is, and whatever it takes to ensure that you stand out like a sore thump from the crowd, or you are taking the most, and then some more out of every single opportunity  presented.  You effort should be set at sky high.

Break the Rules:

This might sound reckless but it can be a really strong tool when used correctly.  A better way for describing this might be to escape the herd mentally, especially if people are telling you, “you can’t”.  If you think you might not  go for a role because you aren’t exactly hitting the companies essential criteria, then  go, go to every single one and make the best possible case about why should get the role and what you plan to do in order to bridge the gaps, you can’t lose anything and the experience is worth it alone.

In your case I would definitely study the work of Clare Graves, called Spiral Dynamics.

My opinion is that you have to watch out not to take too much cognition to youngsters who walk behind the mainstream cultural level. They need other approaches. I even guess most people will not even come voluntary. 

Working on the individual subject and the collective subject, the culture, is hard. To do a good job you need a lot of knowledge, especially about  all kinds of developmental issues. Check the work of Ken Wilber, a good suggestion.

I have always liked Leos videos on finding your life purpose.  Most adults havent quite figured that out, maybe try to add that in.  But really inspiring stuff there.