Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rrodriguez11

What Is Observation?

3 posts in this topic

We all hear this word "observation" but I seem to be a little confused about what it means.  Here are some of my thoughts:

• The capacity to exit monkey mind and to ground yourself in awareness.
  • The act of not getting lost in theories and ideologies while maintaining mindfulness.

Let me know if I am on the right track.

Edited by rrodriguez11

@rrodriguez11 To put it simply, typically people are referring to the awareness part of consciousness that can observe the rest of the consciousness do it's thing.

There is the subconscious, ego, thoughts as well as the emotional impulses and physical senses all of which comprise what is often called the self.

Awareness, which is commonly viewed as distinct and an eternal aspect of consciousness can observe the self and all it's machinations happening.

That is generally what is meant by self observation in spirituality.

28 minutes ago, rrodriguez11 said:

What Is Observation?

Observation is one of the methods of science; certainly an observer is needed. For observation three things are needed: the observed, the object; the process of observation; and the observer from where the process will start. Observation is a connection between the object and the observer; between the known and the knower, knowledge happens. The scientist is ready to accept the known, he is ready to accept the knowledge; but he is not ready to accept the knower, for the simple reason that the knower himself cannot be made an object of knowledge – and he believes only in objective reality.

Spirituality’s whole work is that corner which science is continuously denying: to know the knower, to see the seer, to feel the feeler, to be conscious of consciousness. Certainly it is a far greater adventure than any science can ever be because it is going into the scientist himself. The scientist may go to the stars, may find the ultimate division of objective reality, but he will remain absolutely ignorant about himself.

Observation is watching whatever happens within oneself. There is a world of thoughts and passions inside. One observes that world; one keeps on looking at it just as one stands on the seashore looking at the waves. Krishnamurti has called this "choice-less awareness." It is completely indifferent observation. To be indifferent is very necessary.

Indifference means one makes no choice, no judgment. One does not label any passion or desire as good or bad. One does not make any judgment of good and evil, between virtue and vice. One simply observes. One simply becomes a witness, standing aloof and apart, as if one has no other purpose than that of remaining aware and observing. The moment purpose creeps in, the moment choice or judgment comes in, observation comes to an end. Then I am not observing; then I have begun to think.