Max_V

Palpilations After Meditative Experience

5 posts in this topic

I have palpilations for quite some time now. Attached to these palpilations is a intense fear of my heart stopping. I had overcame this fear before but recently it came back. I stared working  to change something about myself (not people pleasing anymore, letting go of some of the things I would early say are part of my identity) This is going quite good at the moment, I really feel myself improving at multiple parts of my life. I feel my awareness increasing and I feel a lot happier most of the time wheras a while ago I was very somber and depressed for the most part. Last evening I had an awesome meditation session and something weird happend during it. For like 20 seconds I complety forgot who I was. Everything felt very peaceful and quiet. After this had ended, an intense fear had come in it's place. This really got to me. The next morning it was still there and since then I have had the palpilations and fear of my heart stopping. I'm having a hard time dealing with this. Trying to accept and just embody it sometimes just increases the fear and then I feel really futile and scared that the palpilations increase. 

Is there anything else I can do that will help me see this as a challenge and overcome it?

Regards,

Max

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

Well, you have a physically entrenched anxiety issue at this point. That's my diagnosis.

Chanting is a great way to suppress that overreactivity, but it is hard to recommend that to people. They won't do it.

I chant something different that is more complicated, but I have read scientific literature on chanting OM and it seems effective. Look into that. Good luck and maybe check your fear of surrender. 

nothing is anything

Oh also. Anxiety attacks are really perpetuated by fears of something physical happening. So when this happens, remind yourself that these have happened before and your heart hasn't stopped. The anxiety attack does not equal a stopped heart. You have all the evidence you need of this. 

nothing is anything

@eskwire Thanks a lot, I'm look to see a therapist but sadly wait times are really high at the moment in the Netherlands, also I have signed up for zen meditation lessons. I can meditate fine on my own but I found out that meditating in a group brings up my social anxiety, I think this is a great way to overcome that fear.

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

@eskwire Is there anywhere specifically I should look to gain more knowledge about chanting? Should I use an app or just find the mantra's and try it without any guidance?

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus