Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul McCarthy

[book] Learned Optimism, Martin Seligman (9/10)

2 posts in this topic

I'm a massive fan of positive psychology and this book is a seminal work from Martin Seligman, often considered as the father of the movement.

Key Points

• Optimistic people tend to be happier, achieve more, have better relationships, are liked more, experience greater setbacks and are much better at coping with negative situations and adversity
  • An optimistic person has a feeling of control and empowerment, whereby pessimistic people have feelings of helplessness and victimhood
  • We can measure how optimistic someone is by looking at what's called their explanatory style.  In other words, when certain (particularly negative) events occur, what do they attribute these events to?  
    • Pessimistic people describe negative events as permanent, pervasive and personal.  They tend to blow problems up by catastrophizing and framing it in the worst possible light.  
    • Optimistic people describe negative events as temporary, isolated and non personal.  They tend to isolate problems, don't make a big deal out of them and don't beat themselves up about it.  
    • An example of this:-
      • Let's say Katie is on a diet, goes out with her friends and eats a bunch of food that wasn't part of her diet plan.
        • Pessimistic explanatory style:-
          • "you sure blew your diet tonight. I am so unbelievably weak. I can't even go to a bar with some friends without making a total glutton of myself. They must think I'm such a fool. Well, all my dieting over the last two weeks is blown now, so I might as well really make a pig of myself and eat the cake in the freezer"
        • Optimistic explanatory style:-
          • "First of all, I did not make a total glutton of myself at the bar. I drank two Lite beers and ate a couple of chicken wings and a couple of nachos. I didn't have dinner, so I think on balance I probably consumed only a few more calories than my diet allows. Letting my diet slip for one night doesn't mean I am weak. Think how strong I am in sticking to it so strictly for two weeks. Furthermore, no one thinks I'm a fool. I doubt anyone was keeping tabs on what I was eating, and in fact, a couple of people mentioned how I looked slimmer."
  • You can change your explanatory style to be more optimistic by using techniques such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and the ABC exercise, which I will cover in a future video.

My complete set of notes for this book:- http://www.evernote.com/l/AL2e_B-uNM5LKr_o09h_kvQo5Sjxajja3ms/

Great book, highly recommended.  

I'm now going to read another Martin Seligman book, Authentic Happiness, and report my findings here too.

Edited by Paul McCarthy
Accidental submission before the post was completed

@Paul McCarthy Okay now your notes are some serious high quality shit. I'am quite amazed.

A nice suggestion : I would very gladly have longer reviews like the ones Leo did in the life purpose course, one hour or so with quotes and comments. That would be very interesting to listen to during e.g. working out.