Francis777

Mountaineering

3 posts in this topic

Hi, just wanted to create a post to see if there's any serious mountaineers in here and if they've got any experience/stories to share.

My specific interest is in the Himalayas, I done Mount Everest Base Camp back in 2017 and since that trip have planned to summit some of the 8000m peaks, eventually leading up to Everest.

Drop a comment of any knowledge/experience you have with climbing serious mountains. I'd love to hear about about it!

Posted (edited)

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/nepal/articles/is-it-unethical-to-climb-mount-everest

Read this to understand the impact of especially climbing Everest. 
Do you really think it's worth the safety, ecological, social and culture impact to satisfy your own desire to push yourself to the limit?

I was in Nepal in 2014 hiking Lang Tang, for a small 3 day trek. That was the exact same time when the avalanche happened on Everest. My Nepali guide lost 2 friends of his on that day. The danger is real, and not only for yourself.

Edited by OmniNaut

I have never been to Nepal but want to one day. I have no interest in Everest, but I’m very interested in the Great Himalayan Trail! It will likely be another decade before I attempt that as I’m still working on getting my finances together and doing other US based thru-hikes.

as far as mountaineering experience: my technical experience is minimal. I could place top rope anchors, sport climb, and rappel. I wasn’t particularly good but I never died lol ( or attempted anything that would have had that as a real concern). 

I am very experienced in the Mountains in general though. I Thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail (Georgia to Maine). I’m also a decent skiier and ski about 45-55 days per year usually.