Cammy

Career Change - Risk my comfortable life?

2 posts in this topic

Hi all.

I'm back with my worries again.

I've been currently working in a niche field for 6 years where I am earning a pretty reasonable salary however future prospects will probably limit me soon and I wont earn much more than what I'm on. I'm pretty content with the job however it requires me working away from home often which I hate to do. The boss is quite relaxed and there's not massive pressure on me. It's working on site and I've grown a bit weary with the job and settled - I don't know if I want to do it forever, I'm 29, and feel like I'm boxing myself in. Comfortable!

I've been offered a competitive trainee job in a completely new field where I'll get the opportunity to learn electrical engineering. It seems like a competitive maybe even stressful field where management could be quite bossy however it might be something that I take to really well, it's local, earning potential is higher and I feel like it can progress to good places over the next 10 years and it can push me to do new things and learn new things about myself.

The question comes down to do I want to risk my comfortable life (pretty content) and potentially ruin it with a potentially stressful new job full of unknowns but could help me grow as a person?