Basman

Does professionalism in our higher education reflect SD stage orange?

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Lately I've been thinking about why people enroll into higher education nowadays as I'm considering my own path and I've noticed that higher education has basically become an avenue for job security whereas it used to be more purely about knowledge.

We need higher education in order to just get a job instead of learning for its own sake because of how employers screen out non-college graduates for jobs that didn't require a degree in the past. But also for the STEM majors that have an obvious career path, like a lawyer or a doctor. How many people who study STEM are in it purely to learn as opposed to getting a high paying job? Higher education has has arguably become about the business of learning instead of the pure pursuit of knowledge.

As I understand it, SD stage orange is all about materialism and optimizing conditional relationships (I.E. business), so I wonder if how higher education has become so intertwined with careerism, what does that says about our current culture? As I understand it, higher education has always been a status game, it is just that the business world has co-opted the institution for its own gain more and more and now it is just the world we live in. That and we live in a knowledge based economy.

Thoughts?

Edited by Basman

Career is a power&control game, has nothing to do with knowledge, education and spirituality.

Nowdays higher education is a fancy word, we don't have the ecosystem for the next Goethe, Rembrandt, Schiller, Kropotkin,Dostoyevski etc... That generation and that human model died out. 

I think the product of higher education should be the genius, but there is no demand for this.

There are expections but let's be real we don't hear from them.