Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlueOak

Questions to Published or Aspiring Authors.

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

To any published or aspiring Authors that have self-awareness or just awareness of what people like reading.

1, When i've written something I feel it's out of date. I'd write any piece or even comment here differently the next time. I've always struggled with this, since the first time I became aware of it. How do you handle knowing what you write is immediately less than you are capable of now? Endless rewrites, until you find what you believe, is a universal longstanding truth? Do you remove yourself from this equation and trust if a scene is good enough others will find meaning in it anyway?

2, Do you write characters that people will like or that you find fascinating? I could sit down and write a story of our times, that plays to the biases people have, and to be successful I feel you have to do that. The trouble is I dislike the characters that would generate currently, my heroes and villains are from a generation or two ago, how would you handle this problem? Write it anyway and try to remove self-bias where possible? Just ignore cultural and social trends? A mix of both?

3, How are you handling AI threatening to replace authors? Making anything you do obsolete?

Edited by BlueOak

Alright. I pledge to be more selfless in my design. Just got to swallow the ego again.