Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Applegarden8

Nationality and local identity as a vehicle for ignorance

1 post in this topic

Posted (edited)

I just realized something while watching Latvian prime minister speech for new year.

She was talking about Ukrainian war and military service in our country. And that "our men has Latvian identity in their heart" and I realized something

Identifying with nationality has been the most efficient tool for governance and also greatest vehicle for ignorance.

Every identity like that, your family, nationality, workplace, animals and other labels you identify with you tend to care about and you usually only care for these groups of these people/things. But what if you started to think about identifying with all people or everything in the universe and hold this tought current/constantly remind in your day to day life, you will become in such a way that you can not not care about all people and everything. You are bound to become all inclusive, but we are conditioned so that if "meh, it's not my nationality that has this problem, it's not my company that has this problem, it's not my family that has this problem, it's not me who has this problem", but if you identify with everything, you are bound to be willing to have that emotional backlash and willingness to do something. This is why people become activists. Of course this is just not one component required to have that, but this is a technique how to become that. Nobody wants to do that though usually. Therefore, a lot of the times it's just "it's none of my business or I don't care" and "I don't care" literally means this event is out of scope of things and people I identify as myself. But if you did you are bound to care and bound to do something about it. 

Edited by Applegarden8