Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caspex

Practicality in Spirituality: Sambhava

1 post in this topic

While going deeper into the Truth is much more important, I see that a big part of spirituality is ignored here regarding practicality. Spirituality can actually help you survive much better than most on the planet. For example, if one achieves Sambhava(equanimity), they can remain unaffected by life events and live a more satisfactory life. It does not mean forsaking emotion, you still emote frequently, it's just that life events mean nothing to you anymore. It also includes forsaking worries regarding yourself, but still worrying for others well being. It's the Service to Others path, which is biased.

As you can see, this has nothing to do with the Truth for the most part, but I believe one should achieve at least practical things like this in their path to spirituality, because it helps in further exploration of Truth and Reality. For example, discomfort and worries regarding self may lead to escapism and consumption of content or food that is not in line with your goals. Sambhava in that regard is extremely practical even for advancement in spirituality. The satisfaction meditation provided by Leo is fundamentally practicing Sambhava. If you do not give it enough importance then I urge you to do so. It directly leads to emotional mastery.