Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardkill

Are mainstream channels such as MSNBC enough to counter the far right-wing media?

3 posts in this topic

I read Leo's most recent post on his blog, titled "I Love Morning Joe!", and I pretty much am with him on everything he said about the show. I think that MSNBC is definitely better and more to the left than other mainstream news channels such as CNN, when it comes to political analysis. 

Now as for the part of that post where he said "Mainstream news is not supposed to cater to your radical Leftist ideals. Mainstream news is designed to appeal to a very wide swath of Americans." I largely agree with that as neither extreme left-wing views nor extreme right-wing views represent the political views that most Americans have. Also, it is true that liberals still make up the smallest percentage of people in the US (about 25% of Americans identify as liberal), whereas conservatives and moderates are approx. tied for composing the largest percentages of people in the US (about 37.5% of Americans identify as moderate, and about another 37.5% of Americans identify as conservative). Furthermore, only about 7 to 8 of all people identify themselves as true progressives like Bernie, AOC, Warren, or Ro Khanna. Therefore, there's no way that a far-left media outlet could ever appeal to an audience as broad as what any mainstream news outlet has.

However, I do believe in the idea of having a liberal/progressive media ecosystem that would be able to combat and hopefully drown out most of the what is messaged by the right-wing media ecosystem. Otherwise far-right wing outlets such as Fox News, OANN, Newsmax, Ben Shapiro, Daily Wire, etc. could ultimately destroy our democracy, totally stop anymore real progress from happening in America, and influence too many people on the right to actually cause widespread violence and chaos in our country. We can no longer count on Mainstream media news organization such as New York Times, CNN, PBS, ABC, or even MSNBC to serve as a bulwark against disinformation from cancerous outlets such as the right wing media.

https://www.volts.wtf/p/volts-podcast-dan-pfeiffer-on-the/comments

Brian Tyler also said that one of the main reasons why he created his own progressive YT channel and has continued to grow it is because he too wants to combat and the right-wing media ecosystem:

Let me know what your thoughts are on this.

Edited by Hardkill

16 hours ago, ryandesreu said:

@Hardkill Brian just signed a deal with MSNBC so he will be working for them as well as YouTube. 

Oh that's good.

Well, hope that the liberal/progressive mediaecosystem can appeal to not just all liberals and progressives, but also to the solid of majority of moderates and possibly a small but significant amount of conservatives out there in the country.