Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jacob Morres

notes

72 posts in this topic

6/19;

the problem with hierarchies and tier lists is that they are so subjective and lacking nuance

like top characters in a video game? sometimes i see heros that are F tier be rated lowly even though they have niche potential, some people work well on those heros cuz of personal strengths, and you can generally take any hero to high levels with good effort and skill. and sometimes they are false

i wonder how much nuance maslow's hierarchy misses because of the way the model is structured

i think information inherently might be lacking in nuance or something and in mad cases is subjective or some shit

Edited by Jacob Morres

6/20:

Cool comment I saw on reddit

"A weak person will always be nice, because he is afraid of confrontation. But a confident person being nice, is a dangerous person. Because you never know what his true motiv is. Kindness however, comes from the heart, and anyone can be a kind person, confident or insecure, as long as it truely comes from the heart."

how to vipassana; by tara brach

Find a sitting position that allows you to be alert - spine erect but not rigid - and also relax. Clos your eyes and rest your hands in an easy and effortless way. Allow your awareness to scan through your body and wherever possible, soften and release obvious area of physical tension.

Because we so easily get lost in thoughts, vipassana begins with attention to the breath. Using the breathe as a primary anchor of mindfulness helps quiet the mind so that you can awake to the changing stream of life that moves through you.

Take a few very full breaths, and then allow your breath to be natural. Notice where you most easily detect the breath. You might feel it is as it flows in and out of your nose; you might feel the tough of the breath around around your nostrils on your upper lip; or perhaps you feel the movement of your chest or the rising and falling of your abdomen. Bring your attention to the sensations of breathing in one of these areas, perhaps wherever you feel them most distinctly.

There is no need to control the breath, to grasp or fixate on it. There is no “right” way of breathing. With a relaxed awareness, discover what the breath is really like as a changing experience of sensations.

You will find that the mind naturally drifts off in thoughts. Thoughts are not the enemy, and you do not need to clear your mind of thoughts. Rather, you are developing the capacity to recognize when thoughts are happening without getting lost in the story line. When you become aware of thinking, you might use a soft and friendly mental note: “Thinking, thinking.” Then without any judgement, gently return to the immediacy of the breath. Let the breath be home base, a place of full presence. While you might notice other experiences - the sounds of passing cars, feelings of being warm or cool, sensations of hunger - they can be in the background without drawing you away

If any particular sensations become strong and call your attention allow those sensations, instead of the breath, to become the primary subject of mindfulness. You might full heat or chills, tingling aching, twisting, aching, stabbing, vibrating. With a soft, open awareness just feel the sensations as they are. Are they pleasant or unpleasant? As you fully attend to them, do they become more intense or dissipate? Notice how they change. When the sensations are no longer a strong experience, return to mindfulness of breathing. Or if the sensations are so unpleasant that you are unable to regard them with any balance or equanimity, feel free to rest your attention again in the breath.

In any similar way, you can bring mindfulness to strong emotions - fear, sadness, happiness, excitement, grief. Meet each experience with a kind and clear presence, neither clinging to nor resisting what is happening. What does this emotion feel like as sensations in your body? What does this emotion feel like as sensations in your body? Where do you feel it most strongly? Is it static or moving? how big is it? are your thoughts agitated and vivid? are they repetitive and dull? does your mind feel contracted or open? as you pay attention, notice how the emotion changes. Does it become more intense or weaken? does it change into a different state? happiness to peace? when the emotion is no longer, compelling, turn your attention back to the breath. if the emotion feels over whelming for you, or if you are confused about where to place your attention, relax and come home to your breath.

The particular sensations, emotions or thoughts that arise when we practice mindfulness are not so important. it is our willingness to become still and pay attention to our experience, what it may be, that plants the seeds of radical acceptance. with time we develop capacity to relate to our passing experience, whether in meditation or daily life, with deep clarity and kindness.

Remember that stereotypes and biases are reflections of those who hold them, not of those they target. You are indeed a unique individual with your own strengths and merits, separate from any generalization or stereotype

Nice speech from princess Arabia said:

I have realized that anything I dislike is not about the thing I dislike but the way I perceive the thing I dislike. If the thing I disliked was Absolutely dislikeable, it would be disliked by everyone. If I desire to want to see the thing I dislike as likeable, I recognize I have to adjust my way of thinking about what I dislike in order for it to become likeable to me. If I don't like what I see in the mirror, I don't try to change the mirror, I try to change what's looking through the mirror. If the mirror is wiped clean, you will see a clear version of yourself. If it is foggy, you will see a foggy version of yourself. If you move to another mirror foggy or clean, you will still see that version of yourself respectively. God becomes insane when it's in the state of consciousness when it's complaining about its own creation. When it creates something it doesn't like and doesn't wipe it clean and start over, but instead whine about it and call it all sorts of names and expect it to change on its own, that's called insanity. The world is a mirror reflecting back to us our own states of consciousness. Change your state of consciousness, change your world. 

All the posts I've seen on here from men complaining about getting dates and attracting women have dogged women out. They complain and whine about the women they can't seem to attract. How would you know that's how they were if you didn't attract it. It had had to be within your awareness for you to be aware of it. So you attracted it and we don't attract what we want, we attract who we are. If I'm whining about meeting men who are dogs and pigs, then I attracted men who are dogs and pigs not because I'm a dog or a pig but because I assume men are dogs and pigs. Youtube's algorithm suggests videos based on your previous watches and assumes what it thinks you like to watch. It is designed that way. There are never any shortages on videos to watch on YT based on our likes. It keeps sending them our way. Well, the Universe is like that, it will keep sending women your way based on what it thinks you like and based on your reactions towards women and the traits you have energetically and emotionally reacted to. If you show no emotion towards your dislikes, it will recognize you are not interested in that. If you keep praising and show gratitude for what you like it will send more women your way that matches that. 

Stop complaining and whining about what you don't like because you are sending a message to the Universe that that is what you want. The Universe is here to serve you, and if you concentrate and only focus on the traits in a woman you like by showing gratitude when it comes your way and ignoring the ones you don't like without disdain and hatred, you will start to attract more of that. Your attention is your most viable asset and you should pay more attention to what you are paying attention to. Long post, but these are things I have learnt and have seen a tremendous difference with. It might not be about dating but other aspects in my life. All I can do is share with you what I've learnt and understood and then try to relate that to you the best I can. No sense in bashing and trying to convince, that is just going to perpetrate more bashing and convincing. 

Saw a post about values;

What are values? 

X____

Values can be vague, so it's important to turn a vague value into a concrete manifestation.

What does this value look like in my life?

How could I manifest my value more? 

My top 10 values (wip):

Kindness (to others) 

Mastery (for competence, success, progress, growth, efficiency) 

Creation (creating a good happy life) 

Equality (class, race, age etc.) 

Self-love/self-esteem (for confidence) 

Wisdom (doing things consciously, having conscious, wise perspectives)

Health (good energy + mentality) 

X

X

X

Edited by Jacob Morres

What bothers me about feminism is that a lot of feminists are anti Cis,white and male 

What's the logic in that? Do people not analyze their thinking?

What bothers me about antiracism is that indian people are not equally (or at least well) represented ?

What my main curiosity is -  what is the root of racism, sexism and anti lgtbq 

What I find hypocritical is that I'm against racism but I don't care so much about classism. I wonder what other forms of discrimination exists 

Looks-ism? Lol. Sizeism. Ableism. Classism. Ageism

Edited by Jacob Morres

fuck personal development

alright

tiago forte's shit is so goated

my gut is lighting up

https://fortelabs.com/blog/why-i-will-no-longer-teach-building-a-second-brain/

personal development is a foundation for CREATION

there's no point in reading, gathering, consuming Etc. if it's not being used for CREATION

Creation is the goal not fucking personal development

information must be easily accessible EN ROUTE to your goals

fuck archiving, bookmarking, screenshotting, reading/watching/listening without gathering

what the fuck is the point of that shit

information is meant to be USED

Edited by Jacob Morres

best resources for;

scott h young for meta learning + (peter ralston(?))
eckhart tolle, david r hawkins + vipassana for emotions. -> add some form of psychotherapy/science based teachings to round

productivity; tiago forte, ali abdaal

for relationships X______ ??
for business X_____ (alex hormozi(?)

Hormozi is decent but not enough. General, more teachers and industry specific is needed 

for happiness X____ (sloww(?)
for mental health; dr. K, tara brach

+ gabor mate

Philosophy on confidence: 

It's a practice (affirmations and visualizations) 

Influenced by past successes

Positively affected by mindfulness and letting go of thoughts 

With a identity of a confident person 

With a strong feeling of enough Ness

Positively affected by processing trauma 

Positively influenced by self belief and self trust 

Growth mindset 

My top 5 current interests:

Confidence 

Productivity 

Self love- self esteem 

Social skills 

Tech 

Edited by Jacob Morres

Damnnn 

Let's go homie

Good for u ma boi!!!! 

Goal approach 5 a day.

One thing I didn't like is that people need to understand that not everyone is dateable. Even if he got some yesses, a lot of yes (most) turn into flakes. Then u need to gauge the quality of their character, vibe, values. Takes a while..

Also he kind of put a camera in their face too. Take the camera off and try again 

Well it's nice at least he got a bunch of yesses

Edited by Jacob Morres

I realized that people generally only care about the issues that effect them. Like, a women will hate gender expectations on her. Of course she wants to go out and work. But then she will turn around or expect men to provide 

Or you'll see a Muslim person fighting for anti-discrimination. But then you'll see a Muslim person be anti-lgtbq 

Or you'll see a Christian be pro-life. But when it comes to animals and minority rights? Hell no. He hunts deer every weekend and he discriminates against asian people 

The lesson here, is tap into your empathy for other people, cultures, ethnicities, classes, animals, environment etc. 

While simultaneously having a set of values and principles to abide by to avoid the paradox of compassion 

?

Edited by Jacob Morres

People sleeping on all other nba players, and only worshipping the top 30-50 

The other 500 players are all top .00001% players. They are goated, just when you pit top 1 vs top 400 the 400 looks bad. But the top 400 can drop 45 with some sick posters against similar skill 

I'm changing my relationship to philosophy 

Philosophy is...

The ability to analyze 

Have wisdom 

And embody 

Philosophy isn't solely analysis 

I appreciate leos philosophical leaning as it provides a lot of benefit for humanity. But from my pov, in terms of gains, philosophy is just a tool 

Edited by Jacob Morres

The Cycle of Improvement, also known as the Continuous Improvement Cycle, refers to an ongoing process that organizations use to enhance their products, services, or processes. It's rooted in the belief that even when something works well, it can always be improved.

There are several models that can guide you through a cycle of improvement, including:

1. **Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) / Deming Cycle**: This is a four-step methodology for business process improvement.

- **Plan**: Identify a problem and possible solutions.
   - **Do**: Implement the solution on a small scale.
   - **Check**: Measure the impact of the solution and compare against the expected results.
   - **Act**: If the solution was successful, implement it on a wider scale and continuously assess your results. If the solution didn't work, go through the cycle again with a different plan.

2. **Lean Six Sigma (DMAIC)**: This approach is typically used by organizations that focus on manufacturing and production. The acronym stands for:

- **Define**: Establish the problem or improvement opportunity.
   - **Measure**: Quantify existing systems for direct comparison after improvements are made.
   - **Analyze**: Determine the root cause(s) of the problem.
   - **Improve**: Implement changes that will improve the situation.
   - **Control**: Maintain the improved system by continuously monitoring it.

3. **Kaizen**: A Japanese philosophy that focuses on continuous improvement in all aspects of life, but it has been widely adopted by businesses. Kaizen encourages small, incremental changes on a regular basis, and it is more about the mindset and the approach rather than a specific set of steps.

4. **Agile Methodology**: Commonly used in software development, this iterative approach values customer satisfaction through continuous delivery, individuals and interactions over processes and tools, and responding to change over following a strict plan. Scrum and Kanban are two popular frameworks under Agile.

5. **The Toyota Production System (TPS)**: Also known as "Just In Time Production," TPS focuses on improving efficiency and eliminating waste. It encourages a culture where all employees are engaged in spotting areas for improvement.

Each of these models has different strengths and is applicable in different situations. The underlying philosophy across all of them, however, is that improvement is a never-ending process.

6. **Ray Dalio's success cycle:** Dalio proposes a five-step process that individuals and organizations can follow:

Set clear goals: Dalio stresses the importance of understanding what you want, setting clear, specific, and realistic goals.

Identify and don't tolerate problems: He encourages actively seeking out and identifying problems that stand in the way of achieving your goals. Once problems are identified, they should not be tolerated, but rather addressed head-on.

Diagnose problems to get at their root causes: Instead of treating a problem's symptoms, Dalio emphasizes diagnosing problems to understand their root causes.

Design a plan to eliminate the problems: Once root causes are known, Dalio suggests coming up with a detailed plan to eliminate these issues.

Do what's necessary to push these designs through: Implementation is crucial, and Dalio advises to push the designed plans through to completion, tracking progress and adjusting as necessary.

Applying a cycle of improvement to improve in an e-sport like Tetris would involve several stages of setting goals, learning, practicing, reviewing performance, and making adjustments. This is an ongoing process, as continual improvement is the goal. Here's an example using the Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) Cycle:

1. **Plan**:
   - Identify your specific goals. These could be increasing your top score, improving your speed, learning and implementing advanced techniques like "T-spins," or advancing to a certain level.
   - Develop a training schedule. Allocate time each day or week to practice. Consider using a timer to manage your playing time and breaks.
   - Plan to use resources to help you improve. This could be watching tutorials, reading strategy guides, or learning from more skilled players.

2. **Do**:
   - Begin your training. This could involve warming up with easier levels before moving to more difficult ones, trying out different strategies, or focusing on specific aspects of your play (like speeding up your reactions or mastering certain techniques).
   - Apply the knowledge you've gained from your resources. Try to implement the tips and strategies you've learned.

3. **Check**:
   - Review your performance. Many games have replay features that let you review your games. Pay attention to mistakes and missed opportunities.
   - Track your progress. This could be as simple as noting down your scores or as detailed as maintaining a log of what strategies you used and how well they worked.
   - Seek feedback. If possible, have a more skilled player review your replays or provide feedback.

4. **Act**:
   - Make adjustments based on your review and feedback. This could involve focusing on a specific skill, changing your strategy, or modifying your training schedule.
   - Refine your goals. As you improve, your initial goals may no longer challenge you. Set new goals that push you to improve further.

Repeat the cycle. Over time, this process of planning, doing, checking, and acting should lead to consistent improvement. The key is to stay focused, practice regularly, and always be open to learning and making adjustments. Also, remember that improvement may not be linear, and it's normal to experience periods of plateau or even slight regression. Persistence is key.

Hypothetically, what's important for mastery?

☆Patience and trust are key. These things make the journey much easier, as they inspire work ethic, self fulfilling prophecy and reduce/Eliminate anxiety 

☆Clear goals and commitment to the clear goal. These things provide direction and meaning. Without them, success is impossible 

☆Good knowledge and information. This is a foundational map for success 

☆Feedback -> improvement. This is key to constant improvement. Success is based off a ton of planning, doing, gathering info and making adjustments. Success requires hundreds of these cycles 

☆Good people. Mentorship, like minded people. Good people can cut the journey in half, give you confidence, support, togetherness, and mental well being. 

☆Massive amounts of hours 

☆Focus on a few things 

Complex 

Edited by Jacob Morres

I hate  when self help teachers 

- get you to buy [into their] shit even if you don't need that thing

- promote their shit like it'll solve your problems, using deceptive marketing tactics 

- are not honest about when/where their ideas are ineffective and lie about the usefulness about their product 

- do deceptive tactics like making contrarian lies just for virality and clicks

- don't provide full picture so they can upsell 

- make a ton of useless ass content 

- make you hooked onto their content without the actual intent of helping you

- don't genuine care about their audience. 

- self help teachers are self serving and biased As hell

- a victim of said tactics 

Edited by Jacob Morres

Pussy power is interesting because men give women that power. They can also take it away by not needing or wanting it

The only power someone has is the power you give them (sometimes) 

Edited by Jacob Morres

I think *iteration*

Is the #1 tool for success

==

Next habits on the list:

Clean eating 

Sweating exercise 

Cold showers 

Journalling 

Audio books 

Book reading

Socializing