Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rito

Getting Started In Philosophy

4 posts in this topic

I recently got involved in the study of Philosophy and I intend to go really deep. I mainly started this quest on my own,after I was influenced by Leo's videos and some other sources that presented it to me in a way that it really piqued my interest.I feel that study of philosophy is genuinely putting my faculties to test as I am going  deeper and deeper.I also feel that  Actualizers  should genuinely devote some time to creating a foundation in Philosophy to achieve some degree of clarity over many things and gain some different perspective..Anybody here who can suggest me some books and resources? I am mainly from a technology background so I have no idea about how to pursue a disciplined study.I think Leo could be of great help as I saw in LinkedIn that he has a degree in Philosophy from UCI. 

"Everything in moderation, including moderation."-Oscar Wilde

Go where your passion and your interests take you.

A good start is History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell. 

If you are mainly interested in personal development you probably better take off with eastern philosophy. I studied Schopenhauer about the human will for some time, a great and enormous writing, to find out years later by a Hindu legend that the will is just a thought! Mindblowing, I`m telling you...

A basic start for eastern philosophy would be Nagarjuna, Shankaracharya and Lao Tzu, being Buddhist, Hindu and Taoist. Learn some basic stuff and follow your passion and inner guide.

What area of Philosophy are you most interested in?

Have you studied any basics yet? Do you know any history?

21 minutes ago, Pallero said:

What area of Philosophy are you most interested in?

Have you studied any basics yet? Do you know any history?

I have read some basics and history,so go that covered. Would like to know where can I get some intermediate level stuff? And of course the deeper stuff.

"Everything in moderation, including moderation."-Oscar Wilde