Ulax

Mindfulness with labelling query

1 post in this topic

Hey folks,

So I've been doing mindfulness with labelling for a while now.

I have done Leo's version where you do cycles, i.e. notice, observe for 5 secs, label the sensory experience, then savor for around 5 secs.

However, I've been finding I actually am more attentive when I don't label at all. Instead, i just set a metronome at around 3bpm, select a sensory experience to observe, then pick a new sensory experience to observe when the metronome clicks. The metronome change is something i came up with on my own.

I've been watching Shinzen Young's youtube videos on the subject, and I understand Shinzen to be a large part of Leo's inspiration for the technique. From what I understand Shinzen advises to label because it makes spacing out much less likely.

However, I'm confused as I seem to get much more benefit out of not labelling, and doing my altered technique.

I was wondering if anyone, with experience with the technique, could clarify further what Shinzen might mean by spacing out. Further, I would welcome perspectives on potential traps and pitfalls of my altered version of the technique. Finally, I'd be curious to hear if anyone knows whether, as I suspect, I have simply stumbled upon a different type of meditation. If so, could you tell me the name.

Thank you in advance. 

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback