Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SonataAllegro

Is this a responsible thing to have said to my sister?

1 post in this topic

She asked what the hypothesis to this work/research is. Not with regards to Actualized specifically but to truth seeking in general. What would you have said/left out?

"Its the type of research where the findings can’t be explained in an empirical/scientific sense. Think of your deepest trips/spiritual experiences. Say you encountered God - the oneness between you and all of reality and the collapse of the duality of life and death - how would even begin to report that or publish it as research to a community that believes that empirical science is the only reliable source of truth? How would you describe it to anyone who hadn’t had their own direct experience of it? You’d find pushback and disregard from almost any human truth-seeking organization. It’s that obscure.

There can’t be a hypothesis to the research because the nature of the inquiry is exploring the depth of your own ignorance. That is, nothing can be taken for granted. Hypothesis is a Western Aristotelian ideal where we work from guesstimates of the truth based on what we culturally accept as “a priori” knowledge. But here, we work from NOTHING. Meaning, you can’t assume that any “common knowledge” is true. Not even the assumption that you’re a human. Or that you exist at all. Because the truth is that you DON’T KNOW. And yet your whole life is based on the assumption that you DO know. 

Don’t think about all this too much if you don’t want to. Just know that this is the kind of inquiry I do. And I will do it till I die in a safe and responsible manner. In the end, what I’m looking out for is 1) being scammed and 2) being brainwashed. I have years of training in how to avoid the latter, and the former is a matter of not sending anyone money. I’m aware of the shadiness of so many spiritual groups and I’m going into this open to the possibility that they could be not who they say they are. And I appreciate your skepticism."