Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fleetinglife

Understanding Modern Authoritarianism in Politics an Analytical Framework by S.Kotkin

2 posts in this topic

I have watched a lecture by US-based historian Stephen Kotkin on his proposed analytical framework for explaining and understanding the phenomena of the emergence of authoritarianism in politics worldwide and the implications of such for geopolitics. I have also watched some other of Leo's videos on Authority and their presentation of a wide deconstruction and explanation of where the metaphysical, mental power of authority lies inside one's ego-mind and the collective unconscious ego-mind from beforehand, as underlying cultural mental software programming, and have memorized some aspects then of his explanation of how this dynamic manifests in wider societal structures, norms, and beliefs - the cohesive unity of which inside one's mental programming underpins the existence of the societal matrix understood and experienced as a real, reality-based hard and tangible phenomena.

I have found that this lecture by US Historian Kotkin, in my personal understanding, also crisscrosses and inter-laps with some of the themes and explanations that Leo has given there in the series of those Actualized.org videos on Authority on the basis on which aspects of modern authoritarianism in mostly the social and the political, and to a lesser extent the economic sphere, it chooses to give most credence and attention on in some part of its analytical narrowing down to and deconstruction of the causations, origins, and maintenances of such socio-political systems. 

I will post my notes and excerpts that I have taken from this lecture by Kotkin here in a Word file and also the whole video lecture itself to those interested in the original sources of the notes:

Also, I will later also post and publish, when I finish taking and compiling the notes from that video, the analytical framework on modern political authoritarianism that Kotkin uses for explaining the political state in contemporary Russia and its historical-genesis underpinnings beforehand based on his interpretation of its understanding of its history, culture, and politics.

I do all this in hopes of sparking a productive discussion on this sub-section of the forum, which will interplay a lot of elements and factors at once from SD psycho-developmental theory, history, and current geo-political economic power realities in the world, in hopes of arriving on some answers of how one is to interpret them and approach them best in order get the best possible understanding and grasp of them from a personal-adaptive perspective and how one is the position one-self most strategically and consciously in the world in order to try to deal with, avoid and adapt to their reckoning and potential consequences, repercussions, and overall end results. 

Thanks to anyone for being willing to try to understand my intentions regarding my engagement with and showing interest and partial mental pre-occupation with these topics and anyone who is willing to engage and spend their time on the discussion of this topic and theme in this thread, if it, of course, proves sufficiently fruitful, productive, useful, interesting for those participating in it and kicks-off ^_^

''Once upon a time, there was a seductive story about twin revolutions, a political one in France and an industrial one in Britain, that supposedly ushered in our modern world. This narrative never sat well with empirical realities, yet it lives on in textbooks. What might be a more persuasive framework for a global history of the modern era? What are the implications for research and the teaching of history?''

The lecture by Kotkin starts at the minute time stamp of 3:44.

Notes and Excerpts from this Lecture as pdf. file: 

(I will do the same for the analytical framework for Understanding Authoritarianism in Russia, through domestic power politics, geopolitics, and socio-historical-civilizational narratives)

I can of course re-edit this file and re-post it again if some express a desire and concern for it to do so for the sake of increased clarity in taking notes from it yourself and reading from it. 

Understanding Modern Authoritarianism in Politics by US Historian Stephen Kotkin 1.pdf

Edited by Fleetinglife

''society is culpable in not providing free education for all and it must answer for the night which it produces. If the soul is left in darkness sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.” ― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables'

These are my notes and excerpts from the Understanding Modern Power Dynamics in Contemporary Russia from the Kotkin video lecture on the tendency of the historical nature of U.S. - Russia relations.

Here is the 37-minute-long video which the notes were taken from:

And here are the notes in the pdf. the file was taken from that video regarding the four-point analytical framework for understanding Russia and Russian power and relation to the West through the ages:

Analytical Framework for Understanding Power Dynamics in Russian History by US Historian Stephen Kotkin 1.pdf

''society is culpable in not providing free education for all and it must answer for the night which it produces. If the soul is left in darkness sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.” ― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables'