Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VT

Productivity

6 posts in this topic

Track and limit how much time you're spending on tasks. Take regular breaks. Set self-imposed deadlines. Quit multitasking.

Edited by VT

1 hour ago, VT said:

Track and limit how much time you're spending on tasks. Take regular breaks. Set self-imposed deadlines. Quit multitasking.

Agreed. You will know if you are spending enough time on your foci. There was never a more appropriate setting for saying "It's about the journey not the destination".

2 hours ago, Rayko said:

Agreed. You will know if you are spending enough time on your foci. There was never a more appropriate setting for saying "It's about the journey not the destination".

Rayko, Thanks for your input. I like your quote about the journey. I have things to do that are not very interesting like checking snail mail, paying my bills, etc. Any task that does not interest me or is routine mundane work just gets postponed. I however realize that I do these kind of tasks whenever there is pressure on me or a deadline reaches. The question is how can I be productive doing tasks that I hate to do but I have to do? 

My humble suggestion would be to start by not using such a strong word as "hate".  I am sure you know the words we use influence our emotions. It may sound silly at first but it makes a huge difference in the long run.

9 minutes ago, Rayko said:

My humble suggestion would be to start by not using such a strong word as "hate".  I am sure you know the words we use influence our emotions. It may sound silly at first but it makes a huge difference in the long run.

great suggestion! Thank you!

The key to doing things that you don't quite like is to reframe your association. As long as there is a negative association with  a task you are trying to do, there will be a resistance for you to do it . So what you need to do is to change the association. For example, if you associate washing dishes with being a boring and labor intenstive work, change your association to now you being able to play with water as you wash the dishes. Focus on the positive part , focus on the cool water flowing over your hands when you wash the dishes , now you will feel no resistance when you want to do the task, you may even be driven to do the task as it is not a 'fun' task to do So the key to discipline is to remove the resistance instead of using brute force  to power through the resistance , which cause your energy to drain in the long run and burn yourself out. Hope it helps..