Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bird Larry

Do you know what someone is like just by their profile and their essays?

2 posts in this topic

I've heard people who play "Go" say they immediately understand someone's personality and their whole life philosophy just by playing with that person. I heard a programmer say he knows what the programmer will look, feel, and be like just by reading their code. I heard a history professor say to me he's turns into Sherlock when he reads someone's research paper. He can deduce everything, his appearance, philosophy, and life just by reading his text. 

Could this be the same with online profiles. Facebook profiles. Dating sites. 

Recently, I've met someone online. She seemed nice. Had a nice profile. She spoke well. I've met her in her apartment, and she looked nothing like her picture. I was shunned. Was it my stupidity? Was I stupid enough to be lied to? 

I've also had experiences meeting a nice girl, nice picture, never met her for a year. For a year, I've never seen her face (just getting by with her nice profile pic) but just called and texted her online. After a year, I met her, and she looked nicer than her pictures.

Experiencing both, I don't know if I'm just experiencing what everyone else is experiencing, or if I'm the only who was dumb enough to be deceived. 

I guess my question is: can you spot a fake online? And is it possible to develop real relationship just by texting online, interacting far off? Or can a relationship only be formed after meeting in person? 

You can develop a real relationship online, but you probably want to video call them at some point lol.

And if your relationship progresses then it's probably important to meet in person.