Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlurryBoi

How To Gamify Your Life (Self-Actualization, Dealing With Failure, Goals, Mastery...)

10 posts in this topic

Finding the Essence of : what makes the Grind in videogames feel sooo effortless/flowing/motivating/rewarding

&

Figuring-out How To Apply this feature/perspective of the mind (for things like Ego-Development, Mastery, Habit-Building, Habit-Removing and other Abstract/Emotional Challenges that are Crucial to overcome to self-Actualize)

I feel like this could Resonate a lot, with our generation and especially with you Leo.

"Game-Thinking"... this could be empowering for A LOT of people

I think there's concepts like "Flow" and "Fiero" at play, but there is definitly more to it

There is also the "Randomness" in Rewards/Challenges/etc

Like take for example building the habit of workingout :

It's Predictable, always the same, you do the effort and thats all (you don't even see the progress if you dont track it)

But if you applied the concept of Randomness (in an elegant way) it would Help you Build and stick to your habit

Like idk i didnt give it much thought but you could have a little dice at home that you throw and if you hit the number 6 you get to eat an avocado (man... avocados are sooo tasty and healthy but quite expensive)

Or you could get "XP" to invest in your "skill tree" (or "reward tree" that could be like i want to buy this thing and i need 125points, and your accomplishment just got you +25pts)

(Only virtuous rewards ofc, because with rewards like "eat a cookie" you will want to short-circuit/hack the process and only eat the cookie.. :ph34r:

But then again, there might be some Game-development Mechanics that prevent the possibility of just getting the reward without completing the quest)

When you Fail in a video-game you automatically try to Learn From It, what went wrong, what you did wrong, what will work better next time, etc

But "in real life" most people panic, or shame themselves, or quit entirely..

Why do we take this attitude ?? Especially if the stakes are higher, it's more of a reason to learn from failure

I'm sure there is a game-mechanic to apply in our life hat could help for this

Like why do people love to to play fcking DarkSouls ?? Maaan this game is SO HAAAAARD, So Punitive, you litterally FAIL in a Frustrating way like 50 times every hour.. « - Yeah take my 60$ »

But there is something here that people love and that keeps them playing for hours and hours anyway

Edited by BlurryBoi

Like i remember when i was a kid i would cultivate EVERY SINGLE DAY my village on fcking clash of clans for like 20min

But even now i struggle with cultivating my subconscious with 5-10min visualizations.

« consistency is hard.. »

Or is it ..?

Or with Taking 100% Responsibility

There is a way of doing it gradually, with milestones and short-term rewards for the short-term mind, that would be overwhelmed or just cannot always see the value Long Term

And what about "Adjusting the Right Level of DIFFICULTY"

How hard it may seem is often (always) our ResponsAbility, we set our Expectations, we set our Goals/Milestones, we set our Deadlines

We unconsciously set "the level of Difficulty" in our day to day life

And then we either stagnate or feel overwhelmed

Game-developers know the "formula" for how to set the right ammount of difficulty for every player at the same time (take WoW, or take a Doom with it's multiple levels of difficulty)

"Boring-Easy-Moderate-Hard-Madness"

whoa i'm waay to involved in this video request

but it's fun to think about it

i think it would be a Great video, big potential