Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ina

Unexpected duo - Peterson and Jimmy Carr

1 post in this topic

I've been listening to Jimmy for the past couple of days non-stop, I love his sense of humor. And suddenly I see that:

Almost two hours of seriously important conversation. I am in awe. I want to share this to inspire, it definitely inspired me.
Like an Easter Holidays present. The title is so misleading!

signal-2022-04-16-154912_001.png

"I didn’t make any decision in my life until I was about 25, I did the best next thing, so: when you’re 16 you decide, you can get a job or stay at school, the best thing to do is to stay at school, and the best thing to do is to pass those exams and try to go to the best university you can think of, so I went to Cambridge, I got the best degree I could, and in the end of that you get the best job that you could. So far I’ve not made any decisions, it’s been what’s presented to you and the next step, a very well-worn path. 

So then, the idea of being kind of in your mid-20s and going: Well, hang on, whose life am I leading? Where’s this going? And you can see, because it’s such a well-worn path, you can see into the future and go, well, actually I know exactly when I’m going to be in ten years time, in five years time, in 15 years time, but whatever the time period is by looking at someone ahead of you on that road and then go, no, I don’t want that. 

I want life to be an adventure. I want to find purpose, I want to find something special for me. I don’t think there is anything special about me, I don’t think anything magical happened, I think I was exposed to, uh, for want of a better phrase, self-help, NLP and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy at the right age, when I was ready to go: Right, that’s for me. I’m going to be like that person.  

So, something as simple as personality test, something as diverting as, it’s like kind of a rationalist horoscope, it’s such a powerful thing because, the more you get to know yourself through doing that stuff, the better able you are to go: Right, what’s my edge, what am I bringing to the party in life, what do I do better than anyone else, what am I going to devote my life to, because you make your own luck. It’s your edge, what you do best (...)not comparing to others, but looking at yourself (...) your hard work plus time, that’s your luck. We’re all of us just buying lottery tickets, nothing’s guaranteed, but if you want it to kind of pay off you’re going: Right, if I put everything into this, it’s gonna pay out eventually. Success comes later, but I think being all in, when you find it being all in is quite important. I gave up alcohol in my mid 20’s. In my opinion the opposite of addiction isn’t sobriety, it’s purpose, pursuing something meaningful."

~ Jimmy

Hope you'll enjoy!

Edited by Ina