Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spence94

Yoga

2 posts in this topic

A journal about yoga, yoga practice, yoga teaching and yoga living.

Sivasana

Corpse pose.

Dead man's pose

Yogic Sleep. Today I did 12 minutes of Sivasana after 20 minutes of asana and 10 minutes of pranayama. Relaxation under full conciousness. My physical body definitely fell into a sleep, but my awareness was fully present. After working all day, I felt incredibly energized and rejuvenated after tonight's practice. Total relaxation. 

It is a good time to practice letting go of the body and merging with infinity, as during Sivasana, no tension or effort is needed to sustain the bodies posture.

Like all postures, they develop in their subtlety and skill over time. Although simple, it can be challenging, much like the way seated meditation is simple but challenging and much like the way seated meditation yields greater results over time. However the results in the short run of the practice do not always seem linear. That said, preparing the body through asana and pranayama and then lying down which is a very easy position because no effort is needed, allows for very deep states of meditation. Although the mind can still wander often, so it is a meditative practice to remain concious of the body until the body is consciously let go.

Sivasana can also be practice before Asana and pranayama as a way to calm the body and mind from the stresses of the day and prepare for the practice.

Alternatively sivasana can be practiced on it's own as an alternative to a nap. 

Benefits: Helps relieve depression, high blood pressure, headaches, fatigue

Energising 

promote equanimity 

calm the nervous system 

regulates breathing

absorb and settle the energy from the practice into the body

Complete relaxation

Good alternative to a midday nap

OIP-C-107.jpeg

Edited by Spence94