Sid Morris

What If Life Isn't Finite?

2 posts in this topic

after watching Leo's latest video, i have been contemplating a lot. If i am aware of my own death, i will try my best to live to the time while people can have eternal life by new technology (e.g. CRISPER , Mind uploading , freezing )Of course n order to achieve that one should first maintain a healthy body and maybe a lot of money, could this be possible and worth pursuing? that may change our attitude a lot.

None of these technologies allow for the infinite existence of an individual body. With CRISPR, even if it could completely destroy the possibility of an organic death (which it can't), the body would still be susceptible to death by non-biological means. Mind-uploading utilises transient hardware that will soon be destroyed, and cryogenic freezing suspends the natural ageing process AND conscious experience so it's not really eternal life. The Earth, the Sun and even our universe have limited lifespans, as far as we know.

The desire for eternal life is only a desire of the ego; You are already eternal. It is just one permutation of the fundamental truth that everything the separate self does is to divest itself of it’s limits. By definition, though, the ego cannot be infinite.