Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mitch

What To Write Songs About?

2 posts in this topic

My major creative outlet is through writing songs and playing music. After recognizing how much the human ego plays into a song's lyrics, I struggle to find anything worth writing that is still impactful. I believe music at its core is a vehicle for connecting with human emotion. 

My question is about how to produce something "meaningful" in a song. I have realized that music overall is meaningless but I'm wondering if there is any way for me to salvage this hobby of mine. For a songwriter, it is often easiest to connect with them emotions within themselves. But if a lot of emotions and thoughts within me are neutral or positive, how do I create music that resonates with others, inspires them, or have them feel something profound?

I most write music that is on the heavier side of things, specifically Alternative Rock/Metal. Since the style I emulate is mostly about suffering (at least the stuff I listen to), how do I write something that can impact another?

Some ideas I have are to write about realizations I've had myself or maybe I could empathize with another's suffering. Though the former feels pointless to write on since I've had the realizations and they're old news to me.

I'm looking for any ideas. Feel free to toss an idea out there and don't worry if you know nothing about music.

Thanks,

Mitch

I love this song so much. I connect with it emotionally in a very positive, happy way and it's super existential. 9_9

nothing is anything