Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
charlie cho

Controversy with Confucius - Blind Obedience? Or True practice of Respect/Success?

1 post in this topic

https://www.quora.com/Whats-so-great-about-Confucius

I've read the Analects. Now I'm reading Confucius' book on history. He commented on the Spring and Autumn period of China, where there were patricides, sexual infidelity, incest among royals, betrayal, and constant wars. No wonder Confucius emphasized filial piety, harmony to such a level.

Yet, I couldn't get over the fact of how much Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu loved making fun of Confucius. Why? They weren't hostile to him, though. Chuang Tzu liked to write about how Confucius was reformed in his later years after meeting several Daoists philosophers, showing him realizing how stuck up he was about cultivation, rituals, and knowledge. So I've read a post on Quora post why Confucius was regarded as a saint. 

After reading.... 

I could see why he was respected. It's true. The early Confucians and the Later Confucians, much like Christianity, were very different in how they applied their principles. (Sorry if I am to be too abstract here. It's because I don't have much detailed understanding of the subject, but generally I'm referencing a respected historian in korea, who majored in studying the latter part of Chosun dynasty.) For example, in Early Korean Chosun Dynasty, Confucian teachings were much practical and were based on sound government and education. Later, when the country was thrown into shackles having to go against China and Japan, losing brutally in two wars from the North (Qing Dynasty) and the East (Japan), Chosun created a doctrines based on Confucius ideals in a much more menial, structured, ritualistic, unrefined way. It was based out of fear, a downward spiral created by the trauma elites had experienced from the war, losing their material goods, money, and respect, they had to find a way to regain that respect through foolish means, through religion and philosophy. Confucian ideals were ideal for that re-ignition of respect. The rules and regulations elites created had no liquidity, and rules were solidified to create division between elites and the common people. Kings must be kings, heaven be heaven, man be man, so don't cross the line! These rules became the "manuals", "mannerisms".

Maybe, Confucius was ideal in teaching people about success, habits (rituals/manners), politeness, and politics. If you read the quora post above, maybe, you'll get a new perspective on him. 

Edited by charlie cho