MarkusR

The Genesis (My Journey Music)

8 posts in this topic

Im going to keep these journals short and sweet.

On my second year of university, best university in my country studying physics.

True passion for the last 5-6 years has been music, production singing, songwriting, basically a dream of becoming an artist.

Dropped all of my courses, working at the moment as a substitute teacher to make some income 27€/hour.

After work dedicating myself fully to music. 90 minutes of instrument practice.

Just finished building a music studio with friends so I have a dedicated work space.

TLDR: Dropping uni slowly, pursuing music fully.

LOG 2:

Been going to the studio consistently. This week 3 times.

Usual amount of time in the studio is between 6-8 hours.

Keeping consistent to my 90 minutes of instrument practice.

Getting better at rapping and writing songs.

Haven't done any work related to university. But still "attending" on paper.

New challenge is to drop a song every week for a month. Next song on the 24th.

New evolutions would be. Singing lessons. Piano lessons, and generally more effective practice of instruments that relates to production.

Even Higher order evolution. Id say more long term is contemplate who I am as an artist. Become clear with my vision, and then start embodying that persona more than my "actual" self. Step into that role more and more in life.

SIDE NOTE: This is a super left-brained actions and results sort of journal I know. I felt as though that would keep everything super clear as to what exactly Im doing and therefore accomplishing, so I can analyse myself. But of course theres other important aspects to evolution, like mindset, confidence. Different aspects of your lifestyle apart from work. But right now Im laser focusing on my craft and becoming undeniable. It just feels like something I need to pursue now fully.

LOG 3:

Been experiencing ear fatigue and had to take a break on production to give it time to heal.

Realised that I am aiming for greatness, and that theres a subtle difference when you approach your craft and each piece of work you do with sincerity and focus.

You truly listen to whats being made and you channel all your strength to create amazing work. Instead of just creating to get better, you give your soul to each piece. Its a balancing act of diligent practice and expanding your skillsets and pure creation with the tools at hand.

Miles davis said "True genious and creativity doesnt give a shit about age. If you got it you got it, and if you dont, getting older is not going to help you get it."

If I create at my "highest" level, truly with all my heart, at whatever level its going to be good work, work that Ill be proud of and work that will reflect my style at this moment in time and history. This will be a life long journey of expression and the style will change but the soul will be the same. So delaying publication, creating fully and completing works is something I know I will regret.

LOG 4:

Okey Almost a month since this last post. I had moments when I felt like my ear fatigue had subsided and I went back into some production sessions. It ended up only making the case worse.

My ears are now feeling clogged, in a certain level of mild pain. And very sensitive to loud noise; loud noises seem to sound much louder than they have sounded in the past...

So this is definately an obstacle in my way. I have a hunch that the way I approach this challenge will be of great importance all in all.

So far ive stayed away from making music completely. I occasionally listen to music from my laptop speaker or phone speaker, but I dont wear headphones or listen from any other audio equipment.

Ive had a real struggle understanding what I should do at this point, and Ive noticed some complacency and depression setting in.

Moving forward I dont know how long it will take for my ears to heal. As of now it feels like its at its apex and it will only subside from here if I continue to refrain from loud noises. Until then I cant continue my music practice unfortunately.

But that cant stop me from evolving, moving forward as a human being and handling other areas of growth.

Moving forward, during this healing phase, Im focused on fitness, starting a solid martial art practice. Being with my family; esp my mom and helping her out with things. Visual creation art and aesthetics. Photoshop illustrator.

Also one major thing I need to mention. Im at the moment producing a large scale event and platform for young new artists with a team of friends. Our instagram got over 500 followers upon launch and is garnering quite a lot of hype. Ill be more active in the creation, aesthetic choices and management of this project as well during this phase.

Ive also installed a 30 minute 2x a day meditation practice to keep me balanced.

Yea, this post was longer than what I usually do

TLDR; Ears are fucked, cant make music. Staying focused and applying myself to other areas of life while I heal.

Edited by MarkusR

LOG 5:

Ears slowly starting to heal, definitely feeling an improvement.

Complete break from any and all music. Pure silence

I've realised so much. My life gained so much space ever since I quit music. Probably coupled with the meditation is the reason I feel so much more clarity overall.

Im at peace with not needing to make music. I feel in a sense free. Still I have a deep urge to create, but I feel like Im actually getting better by doing nothing. Im more in touch with myself and life.

I know when I go back and touch music again, I'll have the sensitivity and wisdom to bring out what I want from it. This space has been a blessing.

I am also dealing with some joint pain in my knees, so for this reason I have not gone into serious physical activities, like lifting or a martial arts gym.

For the moment I focus on going to work, consistent meditation, finding ways to enjoy life with no music, and building on certain project unrelated to music. A bit of programming and a bit of visual design for ex.

Nothing too major. I know for a fact that my ears will heal. And I know for a fact Im going to make it as an artist. I'll give all other elements their required space to fall into place.

LOG 6: Back on the grind.

So I'm going to start balancing these posts with my current mind state and overview of my life, as well as concrete steps Im taking and results that I feel on my growth.

Life is the ultimate training ground to becoming stronger. Im using all the tools in my disposal to basically increase my strength, power and agency over my life. One of the main components of this is taking the passion that I love, music, and pouring hours of focused training so that my abilities become undeniable and Im able to make a living of what I love.

Right now is that training stage. Im 22, and I want to drop a critically acclaimed album by 25. These 3 years I want to grow my self mentally, spiritually and physically to the point that Im ready to skyrocket.

So far some of my key focuses have been optimising health. A big goal is to have perfect health, and to even surpass that and have a powerful, agile and capable body.

Another key focus I'll bring back now is consistent practice on music. Since Im still working through the ear fatigue i'll be focusing on songwriting as the key aspect. Song writing and acoustic guitar. Right now 3 * 45 minutes. And I'll bring that practice up if it feels like I should and I can.

Another evolution. No distractions. Cut out any entertainment until 18 o clock. Before then I just want to focus on ways I can expand my skills, and work on my way toward my goal. If it feels like I have too much time in between I'll just increase the amount that I practice.

------

Overview:

- 2x40 minute sessions of meditation a day

-3x45 minute practice of music (acoustic guitar and songwriting)

- 50 minutes of physical training every day. Physitheraputic steps included.

LOG 7:

Starting to see the results of the things Ive posted online. Slowly gaining fans on sound cloud, people listening to my music regularly. Also having producers messaging me and people reaching out for me to perform. Seeing opportunities pop up from things that Ive posted and made in the past.

This is that first confirmation that what I am doing does breed results, and that the work I create now is what will open up the doors to all future possibilities and expansions. Gaining my first sense of recognition for my work, which only motivates me more.

My ears are still in the process of healing, but I feel like through not working on music Ive only become better at it, through my sensitivity and understanding expand with my subconscious.

The studio is fully functional.

Still going to school & completing courses.

Currently creating a collective of artists here in Finland to take over the industry.

More focused than ever at making music & creating projects.

Consistently working on production, and trying to understand how to vocal mastery, and especially rap. I'm decent but I know there are higher levels to this, and feel as though I'm lacking, while my production is starting to get on par.