Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mental Projections

5 posts in this topic

A realization that I may have been building up to over the past few weeks..

The default human mode of self-projection is as follows...When we walk down the street, we often self-project and imagine how we look through other people's eyes. How often have you been half-involved in a conversation and imagined yourself from an outside perspective having that conversation? When you close you eyes to meditate, do you self-project, and see yourself from an outside perspective?

Self-projection not only includes looks, it also includes what you percieve your own personality to be. We even naturally self-project when we speak.  We also self-project onto other people, a comparison, if you will. It has many implications. Self-confidence issues, not being able to be in the moment, thinking that you are a certain number of traits ("I am funny").

You, the reader of this post, are not your self-projections. Whether think of yourself as intelligent and good-looking, or dumb and ugly, you are none of those things. Nothing good can come of either tip of the scale. You just are. You are more beautiful than any of your self projections, but this can only be known from within, and when you lose your ego.

Furthermore, your projections of other people in your mind....enemy..! Projections of other people lead to all sorts of negative thoughts and immoral actions.

Your projections of beauty in your mind...enemy!!

Your projections of the how the future will be in your mind...your mental projections of how you think you will be judged...

All of it...throw it away..

Projection is one of the roots of the ego, break it.

(Something that helped me to lead to this realization was separating the senses. For example, when you hold a flower in your hands, The senses of touch, smell and sight are all automatically combined in the mind to create the experience. However, separate the senses themselves, analyse that the individual senses are giving your this experiences, go through them one by one and the self-projections themselves often lose a lot of power.)

Edited by tryingforfreedom

That is why enlightened masters told us we live in fake worlds. In our mental projections that is. It creates suffering for us. 

53 minutes ago, tryingforfreedom said:

(Something that helped me to lead to this realization was separating the senses. For example, when you hold a flower in your hands, The senses of touch, smell and sight are all automatically combined in the mind to create the experience. However, separate the senses themselves, analyse that the individual senses are giving your this experiences, go through them one by one and the self-projections themselves often lose a lot of power.)

I did that too. And it felt awesome. It's like focusing on what you see. Often being what you see right?

with throwing away my mental projections by focusing on one of the senses made me more confident around people to talk to because I no longer had any mental projections of how I should interact with people. And it was so natural!!!! This could be the answer for instant results for not caring what others think of us

Edited by charlie cho

Haha yeh, I feel so much more free... i don't even have to turn my mind off through meditation, it feels so natural to not judge or put mental projections on things now.. although we will have to see if it lasts...

It's like when you open a can of whatever, and are drinking it, NOT relying on your mental projection of yourself to drink it.

Sight can be used to GUIDE the body, but it should not be used to DEFINE the body into a mental image. To define it is to enslave it, and enslave your very being...

actually ignore what i said earlier about not needing meditation...meditation is the very thing that allows one to separate the senses in the first place...