Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
N92

Having Trouble Using Sedona Method to Release Resistance

6 posts in this topic

After watching the video "Understanding Resistance" (one of the first videos posted on Actualized.org), I decided to try using the Sedona Method as it is described in that video to release my psychological resistance in areas of my life where I have resistance. As of the time I am writing this, I have only tried the method once, so keep that fact in mind as you read what I have written below. I will attempt to use the method more and to use it on a variety of areas and instances in my life in the near future, and the problem I describe below may or may not be automatically fixed as I try the method more and get experience from doing that.

However, based on the one time I have used the Sedona Method so far, it didn't seem to work. In that case, it's either that the method will not work for me or that I'm doing something wrong. While it's possible that the method just won't work for me, I am assuming that I am doing something wrong so I can actually try to make it work instead of jumping to conclusions and saying the method doesn't work. The area that I applied the method to was my daily exercise habit. Specifically, I have made a 100% commitment to exercise for 45 minutes every day; in fact, I place a lot of pressure on myself to execute on that commitment daily with a robotic, perfectionist consistency and discipline. I actually fear the possibility of the day where I will fail to fulfill the commitment fully due to laziness or some other cause, especially because I've maintained a perfect track record without a single missed day for 3 months, with the exception of one missed day where the circumstances were out of my control. Per the video "Understanding Resistance," I suspect this is partly why I have internal resistance to exercising every day: because I put such great pressure on myself to do it perfectly every day.

I made this post because I'd like to get some thoughts from people on why the Sedona Method did not work for me. Just before I went out to exercise today, after I got ready, I sat down for 10 or 15 minutes and ran 4 cycles of questions. I did not notice any changes even after I ran 4 cycles on what was seemingly a somewhat mild case of resistance. Then, as I warmed up by walking, I went through 3 or 4 more cycles, making a total of 7 or 8 cycles of Sedona questions. Even with 7 or 8 cycles, I still felt the feeling of psychological resistance inside myself, as strong as it was before I began. After that, I just had to force myself to start jogging before I ran out of time. 

I can think of a few things that may have caused the method to not work. The first is that I doubted if the method would work in the first place. I feared that I was somehow special and that the Sedona technique would therefore not work for me. This kind of fear has been a theme for me almost since I discovered Actualized.org over a year ago. I have had the tendency to fear that techniques or solutions will not work specifically for me because I am somehow special. This fear is exacerbated by the fact that certain techniques I have used to address problems have not worked in the past. For example, I have tried the "Sit and Do Nothing" method that Leo discusses in his video "Overcoming Addiction," and it did not work. I also tried the "Awareness Alone is Curative" Method that is discussed in the video of the same name, and that did not work either. There have also been other techniques I have used in my self-actualization efforts that have yielded questionable results that are probably contributing to this fear. Another thing is that I noticed I tended to overthink the questions, and my mind started second-guessing the answers it came up with. For instance, with the second question, "Could I let this feeling of resistance go?", I initially answered "yes," but my mind started digging a rabbit hole. That rabbit hole was the following: "Well, is it really possible hypothetically for me to let go of this feeling completely? I might be able to let go of it partially, but could I really let it go completely? Hypothetically, do I really have the ability to let go of some feeling completely, right now, at my present level of self-development?" The final thing is that I spent 2 to 4 minutes on each single cycle, while Leo states that four cycles should take only about 2 minutes. I don't know if taking too long to ask myself the questions could reduce the effectiveness of the method.

Other than those guesses, I don't have an idea why the method did not work for me. There is one final item that my mind says is probably inconsequential, but just to be very safe, I will write it here. I am only a 14-year-old boy, and some part of my mind has the doubt that I am too young for the Sedona Method to work on me. I'm not sure if this is a credible doubt, but I would appreciate people's opinions.

You want to speed up the process.

Sedona Method is not about thinking about the questions. More like feeling the questions.

You want to make a quick decision, yes or no and then continue with the next question (even if you answered no).

Be a little more patient when learning a new skill or trying a new technique.

For the Sedone Method to work it is crucial to get in touch and feel your emotions.

I wrote a post that describes it step by step.

@universe I read your separate post that you gave the link to. Unfortunately, I think most of it went over my head. I am still relatively new to self-actualization (I discovered Actualized.org only a little over a year ago), and I know very little about emotions. Would you simplify your other post, "Integrating Emotions," for me and clarify how it relates to my issue with using the Sedona Method on resistance?

Regarding the brief post you wrote above in this thread, I want to make sure that I have something clear: Do you mean I am taking too long to answer each question and that I should answer more quickly? I gathered from your post above that I should "feel" for the answer to each question quite quickly, rather than get stuck in my head and spend too long thinking about each answer; is that correct? (Your other post mentions feeling from one's body and not being in one's head.)

Would I be correct in saying that my inability to effectively use the Sedona Method is because I do not know how to properly feel my emotions (in this case resistance)? I don't know how good I actually am at feeling emotions, but I might not be doing it well. If that is true, is it safe to say that only practice (meditation, directly using Sedona, and other ways to get better at feeling) and patience will allow me to effectively use Sedona? (Your other post seemed to imply that getting good at feeling requires practice and patience.)

The Sedona Method is supposed to work regardless of whether you believe in it or not, so don't worry about your doubts. The Sedona Method has 6-steps to it (though it's not complicated). The first two steps are key to releasing.

The first is that you must WANT imperturbability more than you want approval, control, and security. You don't have to BE imperturbable you just WANT it more than you do anything else, at that moment. You might not be able to want imperturbability more than anything else all the time, but you CAN easily do it for just that brief moment in time when you are releasing.

The second step is to be determined to release and go free, no matter what. So you are pumping yourself up to get through that initial resistance (yes resistance to releasing resistance).

Then you have to find what want that resistance is coming from (3rd step). Is it coming from wanting approval, control, or security? The fourth step is to make it CONSTANT, because releasing is about MOMEMENTUM. When you aren't releasing you are suppressing and then it gets more an more difficult to release. The 5th step is to let go of wanting to control the stuckness. Let go of wanting to control not getting the result you want from releasing.

A release you can do for that is to say:

1. Am I wanting to change that resistance (or any feeling that you can't get to budge)?
  2. Could I let go of wanting to change it?

The 6 step is each time you release you get higher and higher.

With whatever you are feeling at this point you ask yourself:

Could I release it and see if it gets any better?

Then just keep asking that question.

You doing a quick release just before you exercise is not going to work. That resistance is like your general pool of negative energy that makes up your DEFAULT vibrational set point. That's not just related to the Sedona Method or releasing. Many people have raised their default vibration by meditating, tapping, etc. etc.. It's like the more you've dig out in general, the quieter your mind is and the easier it is to release.

However, you don't have to have done a ton of releasing or mediating to get a specific result in one thing.

You just need to set aside A LOT of time for a long releasing session in order to get it all out. That's true for a lot of people who have been meditating and releasing for a long time.

You release until you are HOOTLESS.

Meaning you don't care about you resistance to running at all.

A brief releasing session on your resistance to running will just likely not have any permanent impact. You have to release all the way into the higher vibrations of courage acceptance and peace to get lasting results.

It's better to sit down with a pen and paper:

• Do the now feeling releasing process
  • Do attachments and aversions 

What Am I Resisting Right Now? (or "What was I resisting?")

Running

What is your now feeling? Let go? Feel Good?

Resistance > W/C

What do I like/dislike about resisting running?

1. I like being in control and not feeling like I have to run. w/c
  2. I'm worried, one day, I might not want to run anymore. w/s

You want to do as many rounds of the likes/dislikes or advantages/disadvantages as you can until you literally can not come up with any more. If your mind just starts to wonder and become extremely unfocused, you have to get up and do some light exercise for 20 minutes then come back to it.

If you are thinking, oh this Sedona Method doesn't work, or meditation doesn't work, or tapping doesn't work, that RESISTANCE or vibrational set point will be there, regardless. It's all working with the exact same energy so you can't put the blame on any one tool.

So you should be able to take an afternoon, or a day or two and just sit down and knock it out .

I also caution you because with releasing you might find that running is not what you should be doing and instead it might be best for you to do rowing or resistance training etc. etc.. I guess you'll find out for yourself fairly soon.

Edited by mattparks