King Merk

Language Aquisition

2 posts in this topic

I’ve recently decided to pick up learning a second language and was introduced to Stephen Krasher’s Language Aquisition theory.

This also led me into Matt Vs Japan’s refold method. 

These language learning modalities have been absolutely mind blowing and I feel as if I stumbled upon a gold mine. (Much like what happened with actualized.org ?)

I didn’t see any prior threads on this subject and am wondering if anyone else is familiar with the concept of language Aquisition?

If you are, have you successfully used it to acquire a new language?

I’d love to heard about people’s language learning stories so maybe this can become a thread where we all share our experiences in this domain.

Edited by King Merk

The game of survival cannot be won. 

A quick intro about me:

I’m a native English speaker and my target language of aquisition is French.

My strategy is to first memorize ~1000 of the most common French words and then begin really focusing on comprehensive input.

(I’m using Anki for my vocab)

I’m already doing some semi-comprehensive inlut by watching the original season of Pokémon in French LOL.

Most of it goes over my head as I’m only at about 75-100 words of French right now but it’s fun which is what matters most right?

Once I get to ~1000 words then I’ll start with reading children’s books and watching other simple French media sources.

To any of you polyglots out there, how does this sounds in terms of a strategy for aquiring a new language? Any advice or things I can add into my strategy? 

The game of survival cannot be won.