Annit

Staying Focused

8 posts in this topic

Hello Folks,

Hope all are doing well. I am wondering how i can stay focused on my work. Every morning i go to my office at 9 and leave at 7. The first thing i do is check emails for , like 2 hours and than i know i need to do lots of stuff but my mind distracts itself from the work and i end up watching silly videos on YouTube or surfing Facebook. And in no time its already 7 pm and i realise I did nothing all day. Please let me know how i can stay focused on my work, leaving all the distraction aside. Thanks :)

Stop wondering and take action now on things YOU have to do! (Studying, reading, practicing, etc) 

It's not surprising that you will lose focus doing 10 hrs non-stop.  For my studying I always do an hr then a 10-20 mins break. In a work situation I imagine you wouldn't have time for a 20 min break but I'm sure even a 5 mintue break will help. Also, what do you do for your job? Would you consider it something that you find rewarding at all? You say that you have distracting thoughts and then this ends up in facebook and Twitter. How do you get from thoughts to facebook, what's the mechanism?

Hope this helps :)

I like to use a reward system. I restrain from indulging in something I enjoy until I meet a small goal. Take a specified amount of time to break for reward and formulate my next goal/reward then return to work.

hi

Yes, I have exactly the same problem.  Here's my solution:

write the down four tasks you want to focus on like emails, exercise, reading, cleaning the floor.  Make sure the tasks alternate between inactive and active, so exercise is active followed by reading which is inactive.

do the tasks in order for exactly twenty minutes for each task, using your iPad or something similar so that you don't have to think about it.  When you get to the bottom of the list, start again at the top. If you haven't finished the task in twenty minutes, move on to the next task anyway and pick it up again the next time round.  Keep repeating this until the day is finished.

OK that's it. I been using this technique for thirty years, it works for me.  Good luck.

Self-Actualize and Develop Yourself. See what is important and do what is emotionally difficult.

I highly recommend you to try meditation. Just 10 minutes a day but you need to make sure that you don't come up with any excuse for not doing your meditation. And I mean ANY excuse because meditation helps greatly in building focus. Plus have a habit of making a to-do list and stick to it.

Cut those pitfalls out by the root. Do you want to be mediocre or excellent in what you do? 

Get radical if you want radical results.

Take a hiatus.

Have the power to show restraint.

Edited by Ike Carter