Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max Green

Enjoying physical exercises

3 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I never liked physical exercises. During my years in school and university i always hated PE classes.I was always trying to slack of as much as i can without getting a major problems with my grades.

But after i graduated from university i realized that one can not be healthy without some healthy dose of physical activity. Since then i tried lifting weights, HIIT, running, hatha-yoga, ashtanga-yoga. I liked yoga the most, but it seems like not enough, cause i can't stick with it seriously. After any little distraction (i.e. getting ill) i can't get back on rails for about half a year (omg). 

So, guys, i need your advice. How can i turn myself into health-lover? How can i like physical activity as much as some people does? I know some humans that just saying that they can't imagine themselves without doing a workout, cause they feel bad that way. I myself feel bad when i'm working out... 

Edited by Max Green

I found a lot of this comes from a learned habit. For those who were active as kids, exercise comes naturally and effortlessly. But it is a habit you can build by sticking to consistency. It is important not to only go exercise when you feel the best but also to pack the backpack and trainers and go out there even if you feel like shit. If you do that consistently the body will become accustomed and over time it actually desires exercise if you haven't done it for a while. I was fortunate to have been pushed into martial arts as a kid so exercising has stuck as a habit by now but even today it is still often a struggle between a lazy body and an excited brain. 

Maybe there are other ways you can exercise without calling it as such: 

• join a local club for a sport or activity you like (e.g. martial arts, basketball, baseball...whatever). I used to do CrossFit in the gym for a couple of months when I lived in Greece and absolutely loved it, the only reason I quit once coming back was the price but it was very motivating and a lot of it remained a habit. 
  • mountain biking and road biking works well, is a nice way to get out in nature and remain active
  • following a guided program purchased online to feel a sense of commitment or signing up with a live training program where you will have to show up. There are also a lot of organised outdoor boot camps, workout sessions or even pad boxing outdoors has become a popular way of fitness training. 
  • hiring a personal trainer for a month or two may help a habit to stick but it will be the most costly way 
  • joining various hiking in groups is also an option
  • You could take challenges and compete with other people on apps like Strava or Garmin

In the end, it comes down to learning to value health as your number 1 priority. A healthy man has thousands of dreams, a sick man only has one. Might be worth doing some journalling on what health means to you and what could be some practical tips you could take in your life every day to start to truly value to a level that compromising on on your health just won't be an option anymore. A strong morning routine is a good start :) 

hope any of that is helpful 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

You need to find a physical activity that you enjoy doing. It could be sports or something else. I love surfing, body boarding and hiking. So, try some different activities out. Once you find one you like, it will be easy to stay consistent. You will look forward to doing it. 

Edited by Matthew85