flowboy

Hilarious attempts at rationalizing away evidence for reincarnation by scientism

2 posts in this topic

Hilarious attempts at rationalizing away evidence for reincarnation by practitioners of scientism:

The scientific method just doesn't apply to this. You can't do an experiment using the current version of the scientific method, and prove that someone's soul reincarnates. You also can't prove with current methodology that it does not.

I love how that makes these guys sweat and squirm and resort to hypocrisy and fallacies.

The eggheaded guy criticized that reincarnation researchers are biased because they want it to be real. Then proceeded to set up an experiment with the goal to prove that it is not real?

The experiment involved getting children to make up stories, and seeing if those correlate just as well with people that have existed.

Then they picked only the stories that seemed to be very specific, linked them to a real person, and said "Tada, a made-up story is just as easily linked to a person that really existed".

Conveniently ignoring that memories and imagination are very similar, especially children often mix them up.

He didn't prove that telling the child to make up a story didn't trigger a past memory in her. That's what it clearly looks like to me.

And the older devil:

"We lost the Christian narrative that helped us cope with the mystery of death, and so we find patterns in perceptions, and pick and choose ideas that give us comfort . [And so that's why we needed the idea of reincarnation]" (notice how the choice of words makes it sound pathetic)

LOL? Scientists do the exact same thing, but word it a bit differently. And they don't even see HOW it is the exact same thing.

We lost the narrative that the atom is solid, which helped us understand (helped us cope with the mystery of) life, and so we find patterns in perceptions, and pick and choose new models that make sense to us (give us comfort/the illusion of complete understanding).
[and now we have (that's why we needed) string theory / quantum physics]

We lost the narrative that the sun spins around the earth, that made us uncomfortable, so then we looked around (measured a bunch of stuff, which is just perception with arbitrarily chosen sensors), and needed a new story to make us comfortable again.

So interesting and devilish how they just reword the same process, to make it sound pathetic.

I used to believe this scientism crap, not too long ago?

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

I pity these people now (of whom I was one) who force themselves to believe things that are very uncomfortable and cause great suffering to believe. Just because they got brainwashed at a young age into thinking that that is the correct way.

Same with hell.  "If you have anal sex, a bearded man in the sky will make sure you burn eternally". Does that feel comfortable to believe? Nope. So the comfort argument really doesn't fly as a way to discredit religious beliefs.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/