Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nadie

Beware Of Weight Loss As Fake Growth.

4 posts in this topic

Hey everyone.

I'm just watching Leo's video about fake growth and real growth and I've realised that although I lost 35 pounds in a few months last year through diet and becoming interested in doing sports, and although I have kept that weight off now for about 15 months, it was all fake growth. That is, an achievement/success rather than permanent change from within. 

Just be aware of this anybody else who is currently losing weight or who wants to. I would be much happier right now if something had have changed within me in regards to my emotional relationship with food, rather than having just lost the weight yet still having many of the same issues, perhaps even exacerbated now by the pressure to maintain my success.

Real growth in this area is not weighing less. It's in correcting your psychology around and relationship with food. In my own case, that would look like no longer having a "relationship" with food. No longer using and abusing it to fulfil an emotional need.

No wonder I have never really felt satisfied despite the physical changes I have made and athletic body I now have. It would have been better - in terms of real growth - not to have changed at all physically but to have released this emotional issue.

I lost the same amount of weight in order to be "attractive". Whats ironic is that after losing weight I got criticized for losing muscle weight as well so I had few people suggest that I build muscle, I went into that and on my training I injured myself and could not continue exercising for months, I felt really depressed, why ? because I related my value in the way I look to other people or to the social norm, you know what, even to myself...

I went to countless hospitals, physiotherapists, MRI procedures, another bunch of doctors and on and on for the sake of training and building a persona plus looks for myself

Now that my injuries have partially healed and I continued training I try not to connect the way I look or my weight on the scale to my own value, because values go up and come down, and eventually they dont really exist, but its hard always reminding yourself that especially with the ego boost you get because your "fit" or because how much you have accomplished.

I recently researched man shaming topics and how men are shamed for not having a killer six pack, or looks like this or that, but if you notice major characters in history who were portrayed as leaders and value worthy people they portrayed what looks good and not according to the way they personally look. 

Anyway, yes we can accomplish so much on the outside and the inside is still the same, we think that we are broken and we think that we need to "fix" something, only so that in the end you realise, there is and there isnt something to fix.

Im still struggling with the issue because im deeply and sincerely looking for approval and love, and looking good is my only way to attain it. So its hard for me (Living in a very materialistic community)

Edited by avk123
Extra ideas.

On 11/16/2016 at 4:59 AM, Nadie said:

Hey everyone.

I'm just watching Leo's video about fake growth and real growth and I've realised that although I lost 35 pounds in a few months last year through diet and becoming interested in doing sports, and although I have kept that weight off now for about 15 months, it was all fake growth. That is, an achievement/success rather than permanent change from within. 

Just be aware of this anybody else who is currently losing weight or who wants to. I would be much happier right now if something had have changed within me in regards to my emotional relationship with food, rather than having just lost the weight yet still having many of the same issues, perhaps even exacerbated now by the pressure to maintain my success.

Real growth in this area is not weighing less. It's in correcting your psychology around and relationship with food. In my own case, that would look like no longer having a "relationship" with food. No longer using and abusing it to fulfil an emotional need.

No wonder I have never really felt satisfied despite the physical changes I have made and athletic body I now have. It would have been better - in terms of real growth - not to have changed at all physically but to have released this emotional issue.

When I read this I think you losing weight trough exercise and diet is not fake growth, but it's just not the growth you wanted. 

The weight loss is good for your health. Also people treat good looking people better (unfairly or not) in social situations (dating), at work (money). And you should have more energy. Just to name a few. 

What you apparently didn't get was a better relationship with food and resolve emotional issues. But I think you should try different avenues to fix those problems. But not drop the progress you have made using diet and exercise. 

The way I experience self improvement is that an improvement in only one area is not having a dramatic effect on the quality of my life. But rather there need to be many improvements, and then together they form noticeable a better quality of life. 

Examples for me are exercise, diet, cooking, reading, no more social media. And I am looking to further develop those and add more new ones. 

Edited by STC

5 Best Ways To Lose Weight:

When you are dealing with a phenomenon as diverse as human beings, it is very difficult to create rules which will work equally well for everyone. Nevertheless, there are some characteristics shared by all human beings, and this means that some basic principles can be developed. Here are five proven techniques to help you lose weight.

full article:

https://goo.gl/Nyj2zC