Toadie2018

How do you Improve Your Capacity to Feel Emotion?

4 posts in this topic

In Leo's sage video, he stated that sages were able to feel emotions way better than most. How do I cultivate this sensitivity?

It's kinda natural to me to feel things deeply. What was unnatural - if you will - was learning how to disconnect from block or control feelings.

So I imagine the answer is; surrender.

@Toadie2018  Practice your understanding of them.  I'd recommend starting a 2-part practice using an emotion wheel like this -

7sdff87s8fd9.png

Start at the top of the circle and spend 20-30 minutes writing about just one of the emotions listed along the outside edge.  Write whatever comes to mind - write about times you've felt that emotion, your thoughts on the nature of it, times you've known other people to go through that emotion.  You should have about a page and a half or 2 pages by the end of it.  Through the process of writing it down, you'll notice your thoughts start to become more ordered and you'll realise things about the emotion that you hadn't noticed before.  Then afterwards, while those thoughts are in your mind, sit and close your eyes and for 20 minutes or so, consciously try to take your mind back into that emotion.  Try to bring it back so that you're able to actually feel it, and then pay attention to how it does feel.  The next day, you go to the next emotion on the circle and repeat the process.

Will this teach you everything there is to know about emotions?  Of course not.  It'll take you 82 days to get around the circle though.  If you do it as I said, that'll be 68 hours total spent contemplating each of these emotions.  You can't even begin to imagine just how much understanding you'll gain from doing such a practice for 82 days.