Radu97

Privacy in our modern day and age

1 post in this topic

Hello guys!

I am having sort of a dilemma regarding internet privacy and why are people so obsessed with it. 

For example I have an android phone which I use on a daily basis. This being owned by google they literally track everything you do online (location, browsing history, youtube search etc) to get to create personal ads for you depending on your preferences. This is absolutely understandable and I don't really mind if google functions like this since it enhances the services no matter what app I use. 

My question is the following. Why do people obsess over privacy when it comes to this sort of stuff. Why do they care so much that google/facebook/insta etc is tracking and gathering their data for better services. It's not like the employees are watching you specifically to see what you do every minute of every day. I used to work in a call center for a tech giant and we would literally see the personal info like numbers, emails, filters etc of people's accounts. But we the employees couldn't care less about what info people had on the accounts. We were just helping them out log back into lost accounts. Everything was recorded so we couldn't take their info like banking info etc ( we would get sued and go to jail lol). Yes, Facebook and Google scrape your private info but they don't turn around and print it in the public newspaper or or write it on the bathroom walls for all to view for free. They use it instead to try and sell to you information and consumer goods.

How do you guys see this aspect of society that privacy no longer exists and that sooner or later there will be no privacy in the future and how do you see this aspect from a more conscious pov or from a stage green/yellow pov? I for one  don't really mind that google or whatever social media is using my data for better services. As long as it's not compromised. Now if you are ignorant and search the net for wired websites and give your info to whomever that's your personal responsibility.

Thanks guys and sorry for the long post.

Edited by Radu97