Arbolesmentirosos

Starting a Meditation habit, Yawning?

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

Today I started my meditation practice (again), my intent is to meditate every day at least 10 minutes from now on, Im not particularly interested in advanced techniques and positions, I just put a timer on my phone and sit still in a chair. I´ve tried in the past to stay consistent with more or less success, I dont find it difficult to calm my thoughts once Im there, but consistency seems to be my weakness, evidence of this was shown to me today, when I forgot that my cellphone was on silence, and after the 10 minutes I got carried away another 18 minutes (lol) not flexin but Im kinda proud (because I didn´t  move half an hour, lame i know). The thing itself went very good, I decided to meditate because I was feeling a little anxious, and it worked, but one thing I did notice is that I coudn´t stop yawning at some point, wich has happened before in my practices. When my body does this I feel like I loose some kind of energy or focus, and I was wondering if anyone has experience with this particular subjet. I also experimented with some type of chanting, or vibration, using the vocals A E I O U, this felt very good but I dont really know much about this tradition, besides that it is present in lots of cultures around the globe, I just followed my "instinct" and it helped my focus a lot.

I feel light as a feather right now and felt like sharing, like I said, if anyone knows if the yawning has some effect, and knows some information about the vibrations that one can produce to enhace the meditation practice,  I´d aprecciate some feedback. I´m hoping my english isn´t too bad, since its not my native language (sorry). Thanks for your attention if you came here and hasta luego gente.

@Arbolesmentirosos

Not lame at all imo, great non-work. Yawning is common, could be expected even. It thought activity unwinding, or, more peace. Yawning is really common with channeling, reiki, yoga, etc. As far as loosing energy or focus, I would relax more deeply, wouldn’t worry about that at all. (We don’t really ‘have it’ to lose.)Defocusing is par for the course, nothing to worry about. Imo the vowel mantra is great as well, I could see where it helps both with shifting focus way from thought activity, and naturally relaxes the apparent vibration. Sorry,...body. You might like singing as a breathing, feeling, inner awareness, vibrational non-practice also. Can move up the emotional scale in a fun brisk manor that way. 

1 hour ago, Arbolesmentirosos said:

I feel light as a feather right now

Awesome. 

1 hour ago, Arbolesmentirosos said:

vibrations that one can produce to enhance the meditation practice

Take as big of a breath into as low in your stomach as you can, and let it out slowly while saying the alphabet. Take such a big breath intro the stomach that you feel muscles stretching underneath the stomach even. You’ll be able to say the alphabet once or twice. Repeat this for about five minutes, in a fun / relaxed manor. You’ll then be able to say the alphabet pretty easily seven or eight times.

Pay close feeling attention to the diaphragm, it’s at the top of the stomach, directly below  where the ribs join together at the chest bone. Feel the diaphragm acting as a Scottish bagpipe, supplying air flow in a controlled manor. Hmmm / say ohm, or any sound that you like, as lowly (bass) as you can, in a relaxing the entire body manor. You’ll probably notice shoulders tensing, etc. Just notice and relax them. In around fifteen minutes a ‘click’ will happen where focus and the diaphragm muscle connect.

Then start leaning toward allowing the body to be breathing on it’s own and focus only on the sound (remain aware of the breathing happening). Keep relaxing the body over and over through out as needed. (Typically there is contraction in the neck, stomach, hips, shoulders, hands and bottoms of the feet. Check, and relax em. 

I would keep going into that instinct, like you mentioned... the ‘getting out of the way of meditation’ maybe. You’ll experience the feedback you’re looking for, imo. You English is great btw, I wouldn’t worry about that either. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm Thank you for your feedback, I will try the exercise that you described, it seems surreal to be able to say the entire alphabet eight times in one breath, cant wait to try. I have a weird relationship with singing, as a musician that has the luck to spend most of its time doing music I have a really hard time getting my voice out, so I could use some breathing technique in my life.

2 hours ago, Nahm said:

(We don’t really ‘have it’ to lose.)

that blew my mind a little, usually when I focus my attention on the body I can feel after a while some kind of energy or sensation moving through, in some cases I´ve been able to play a little with it but never knew much what I was doing.

Edited by Arbolesmentirosos

@Arbolesmentirosos

Awesome. Had a hunch. Definitely play with it, and singing is a great way imo. Even just ‘saying to yourself’ ‘turn the energy on now’... turns it on. You’re probably feeling in it now just from us talkin about it. xD?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@kkengaged It doesn´t seem to be much of a secret to me, more like a very common thing/non-activity usually overlooked.