Fantastic_Times

New Career, New Horizons, New Confusion

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I recently quit my PhD in sociology. I had 2 years left but it was making me extremely unhappy, depressed and unmotivated. I decided it was time to pull the plug and be honest with myself about what I want. My intuition (something I don't always trust - unfortunately) told me to try interior design/ interior architecture as a career path. After all, I keep asking "who designed this place?" after I go into a new place almost every time. It's something I always liked or something that drew my attention. 

I haven't tried any other careers apart from academia and I am lacking a bit in life experience to make an informed decision about my new career path. I am also a massive perfectionist which doesn't help. 

My question to you is: what advice would you give someone like me who is trying to get a career that is more authentic and more in line with what I will enjoy. Where should I start? 

I just turned 26 (male) if that makes any difference :P.

Cheers,

Ferdy

@Fantastic_Times Hey Ferdy, i feel you man. I'm not on Phd but i just left my career on anthropology and i know it's hard and really confusing to start again.

I don't know your reasons for leaving the career but i think you got something solid and is your interest on interior desing, give it a try, maybe get some books, make a course online, go to a seminar about it.. what do i know, connect with it and see if it's truly your thing.

If you want an advice is dont stay still, this has been a hard year for me because i got paralized after my decision and my inaction caused me hard pain because of that same question, what should i do? (I think removing the shoulds is helpful too, check this post)

Just try new things, discover who are you and connect with it. Nobody can tell you who you are if you don't know first :)  

@Fantastic_Times    Hey Ferdy, in 2012 i was doing a course at university and I felt unhappy. And i had all crazy thoughts saying " oh what will people think? your a quitter"  then it hit me. Why do something that makes me unhappy as it doesn't benefit you now. So i left and did a degree at another place which i enjoyed and made me happy.

So my advice would be this. your still very young enjoy doing things that make you happy, whatever hobbies you have. you are enough! :)