StarStruck

The grim side of being a wage slave

2 posts in this topic

Being a wage slave has its romantic sides. One doesn't have to worry about developing oneself. Just going with the flow and if you play office politics the right way you are set but it is not all moonlight and roses as the video explains. 

Nowadays everybody knows you have to develop yourself. It is not even that most people don't want to develop themselves: they simply don't have the time, plan and resources to do it. 

I have to many issues to be entrepreneurial. For people like me being a wage slave is only option on the short run until I become a good enough programmer, which is a question and not a given. 

After watching the video above I fire got lit under my ass. I really need to develop some skills if I don't want to be used as a work donkey. 

A lot of wisdom right there in that video. I think on the market the only thing that matters is the value you give people. My best bet is to develop my programming skills or take an IT job in the government which is more humane. Working for the government doesn't sound so bad for me. Perhaps lower pay but you get less stress and more certainty. 

Edited by StarStruck

2 hours ago, datamonster said:

I don't think your odds of becoming a good programmer working a government job are great tbh.

Who are you gonna learn it from? Who will be your peers? Probably other people who try to avoid work as much as possible and chill, which is why they took a government job in the first place.

If you want to become a great programmer you should seek out people who are great programmers themselves and learn from them. But these people rarely work for the government as they can earn much more and work on much cooler projects elsewhere.

If I were you I'd step on the gas paddle instead of trying to slow down and take it easy before you've even really started.

I just can't take stress because of my past. Learning code can be done through youtube and forums.