YoungSeeker

Need Advice On Meditation

6 posts in this topic

Was meditating for about 10 months now. After watching Leo's guided meditation video I started applying those things to my meditation practice. I naturally started doing them even before watching the episode about meditation but after watching it I really got into that idea. It feels like a step back. When I was using some other techniques I felt more aware. The whole session now is thinking and being in the fairy tales. Is it really a step back? I need your advice. Should I use this "non manipulative method" or get back to the techniques I was using before?  Is this method really productive? This "non manipulative method" feels easy to do. There isn't any struggle in doing that. Feels like I'm asleep the whole session. What are your thoughts on that?

I've been meditating for a year and half now and when I was starting I used "manipulative techniques" for a long time and yeah it makes you feel aware but it also made meditation feel like a job that I have to do right or I'll fail. Then I saw Leos video about "Do nothing technique" and believe me, I felt same as you. It felt so pointless and easy and stupid, it was like "c'mon it doesn't seem like a meditation it's just a waste of time, but if Leo recommended it, I'll use it" so I continued using it daily and after a few months it's much better now! I can finally sit down and not even feel boredom at all! 

So don't worry, I think it's just ego wanting to control everything it can, even thoughts.

I imagine "do nothing" is one of the most effective techniques for enlightenment, besides self-inquiry. So I guess the question boils down to whether you want to get high or get enlightened.

16 hours ago, Markus said:

I imagine "do nothing" is one of the most effective techniques for enlightenment, besides self-inquiry. So I guess the question boils down to whether you want to get high or get enlightened.

Especially "do nothing" used with "strong determination sitting"

On 9/3/2016 at 0:35 PM, YoungSeeker said:

Feels like I'm asleep the whole session. What are your thoughts on that?

As long as you are aware of the asleep-ness :) 

The key is to be aware, to be detached - otherwise it's just the ego daydreaming and self thus self-strengthening. 

On 9/3/2016 at 4:20 PM, Milos said:

I've been meditating for a year and half now and when I was starting I used "manipulative techniques" for a long time and yeah it makes you feel aware but it also made meditation feel like a job that I have to do right or I'll fail. Then I saw Leos video about "Do nothing technique" and believe me, I felt same as you. It felt so pointless and easy and stupid, it was like "c'mon it doesn't seem like a meditation it's just a waste of time, but if Leo recommended it, I'll use it" so I continued using it daily and after a few months it's much better now! I can finally sit down and not even feel boredom at all! 

So don't worry, I think it's just ego wanting to control everything it can, even thoughts.

I guess you're right. I'll keep going. Thanks for sharing your experience!