CosmicTrekker

Consciousness And Inanimate Objects

5 posts in this topic

I understand (maybe incorrectly) that the true reality is something that is one undivided whole and awareness is something that permeates through that wholeness. This implies that all phenomena we label as dumb inanimate matter, is also conscious at some level; if this is the case, then is there a hierarchy of consciousness? If so, what factor(s) determine the level of awareness? 

Edited by ishaq

4 minutes ago, Piotr said:

Awareness is nothing. What are levels there for?

I'm even more confused :). Nothing is all there is and it's the same as everything, then is there no such 'thing' as awareness? If so, then what is this thing that gives me the sense of self/awareness?

51 minutes ago, ishaq said:

true reality is something that is one undivided whole and awareness is something that permeates through that wholeness.

Notice the subtle dualism here. Is wholeness all there is, or is it awareness? Take a simple look in direct experience.

53 minutes ago, ishaq said:

all phenomena we label as dumb inanimate matter

Where or what is this "dumb inanimate matter" in your experience? Furthermore, where or what are the "objects" that are supposedly made up of this matter? Hint: Look in thoughts. Thoughts refer to objects in experience, but can you find those objects? What is an object other than seeing/touching/tasting/smelling/feeling? Even that is saying too much.

56 minutes ago, ishaq said:

is there a hierarchy of consciousness

Again, another dualism. How can there be levels of consciousness if consciousness is one undivided whole, as you say? Again, look for "levels" of consciousness in your direct experience.

57 minutes ago, ishaq said:

I understand

This is precisely your issue. There is nothing to understand! NOTHING! You already are what you are. Thought creates a "you" that "understands", but there is no "you" and there is no "understanding." There is only what already is. I suggest looking for the "you" that "understands" in your direct experience.

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

26 minutes ago, jjer94 said:

This is precisely your issue. There is nothing to understand! NOTHING! You already are what you are. Thought creates a "you" that "understands", but there is no "you" and there is no "understanding." There is only what already is. I suggest looking for the "you" that "understands" in your direct experience.

This is so useful, makes perfect sense, thank you. It feels like an obstacle has been moved out of the way. 

34 minutes ago, jjer94 said:

Notice the subtle dualism here. Is wholeness all there is, or is it awareness? Take a simple look in direct experience.

Thanks for pointing this out, it was there right in front of my face!