rrodriguez11

Life Purpose Vs. Enlightenment

5 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I just bought the Life Purpose course but I am noticing some resistance when I try to motivate myself. Let me explain.

Through a lot of meditation and contemplation (also Leo has said this) I know that in the end, my life purpose is meaningless; all that matters is enlightenment and just being. This creates a lot of resistance when trying to motivate myself into participating honestly in the course.  I know that if my life purpose is to become an entrepreneur or a businessman, I will have to leave that because I know that enlightenment is the only thing that matters.

I would appreciate any tips/ideas/arguments.

Thanks.

The problem is, enlightenment could never happen, or in 40 years from now.

It is also not a purpose, since you can achieve it, a purpose in life can't be achieved by definition.

"Life has no purpose because I'm gonna be enlightened and see that it has no purpose" is not a genuine response to me. Have you got any idea what enlightenment is like? Once you experience you can have a say about it.

Info especially around 2:30, the one about ego gratification  might be useful to you.

@Pelin Wow man, that part of the ego gratification really resonated with me.  Its exactly how I've been thinking for the past couple of months.

Really appreciate the share!

Unless you plan on permanently becoming a hermit or going into a monastery, you're probably going to need a career of some sort. It doesn't have to matter in the end, it's just a journey you pick that will feed you, pay your bills, and hopefully be the most meaningful thing you can think of doing career wise.

I'm currently reading Adyashanti's The End of Your World and it's becoming quite clear enlightenment is not a way to avoid living and doing stuff people do. There's still relationships, hobbies, work, and being inauthentic in any of these will be unbearably painful when you're highly conscious.

So do the course and you'll have a blueprint for the career aspect of your life. The FAQ addresses the enlightenment issue. I'm glad to have studied life purpose theory but I've decided to put it off for a few years, and in that while my only directly life purpose related activity is University studies, while I focus on pursuing enlightenment.