pixelwave

How To Fix My Laziness/addictions

4 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I have a question I'm 20 years old and I feel like I can do so much more with my life. Now during the holidays I set my alarm around 8:30 and then I wake up around 10AM. I always snooze a lot. I feel like I don't really have a strict discipline in my life. I will always wait until the last moment to do something. 

I've tried lots of times to fix that but I always relapse. When I have a meeting somewhere I will always come a late. Because I'm just not ready at the time. I have ADD which I try not to think about it that much. But when I read about it on the internet I see that it's a common problem for those with ADD.

What really helps me to feel better and to be much more active is to go exercising. I do indoor cycling.

A funny fact is that I love my weekend job and that's being a waiter, I already went 17 times and I have never come late. Actually I'm there 15 minutes before... I know that's crazy right.

When I need to shower I always want to scroll a little longer on Facebook or Instagram, that's actually where I lose lot's of time or I listen to another song in my bed before I get out!

Emotionally it's not that I'm depressed or anything but I feel like I need more energy and more concentration and discipline. But I really don't know how to start with it and to actually not relapse.

I hope you guys have any suggestions, like books I could read or some LEO videos. (most of them I've already watched, but maybe not enough).

Thanks

Edited by pixelwave

Maybe you lack energy from your digestion! Eat small but mainly  easily digestible food. This will boost your energy very quickly. Also I would recommend freeletics bodyweight. Its an app ,free,Im sure you will build your discipline there.

Edit. Sometimes books dont help to make us active and feel motivated. Try something like this.

Edited by popi

@pixelwave I think some of your answers are in your questions! Have you figured out your ultimate goal? Is your life harmonized towards pursuing that goal? Are there things that you're doing in life that you subconsciously know are not helping you in your personal development? By knowing your ultimate goal in life (which can change by the way!!! you don't have to have one purpose for your whole life) it will help you stay focused on that path, and more of your day to day actions are going to be oriented towards that goal. Devise a way to keep reminding yourself of that goal.

2 hours ago, pixelwave said:

What really helps me to feel better and to be much more active is to go exercising. I do indoor cycling.

A funny fact is that I love my weekend job and that's being a waiter, I already went 17 times and I have never come late. Actually I'm there 15 minutes before... I know that's crazy right.

When I need to shower I always want to scroll a little longer on Facebook or Instagram, that's actually where I lose lot's of time or I listen to another song in my bed before I get out!

It seems you are motivated by being active, by working at your job, and you don't see how showering or getting up is useful to you.

Do you see here how you're both judging yourself ("A funny fact"), and worrying about what other people are thinking of you? ("I know that's crazy right") These judgments are holding you back! 

I have ADD which I try not to think about it that much. But when I read about it on the internet I see that it's a common problem for those with ADD.

I used to think that ADD was a silly made-up thing for kids with no discipline, or for victims who label themselves instead of "just pushing through," but I was a kid then :P Now I think I have it too! I think it stems from many factors. Stress from childhood where we always feel like we need to be on guard, and as we become older, lack of quality focus time. The internet, smartphones, and notifications are all very seductive to our monkey minds, because they're cheap and easy thrills. It's important to recognize this and kick the addiction! Watching Leo's videos is not enough. If you're going to improve yourself, you have to commit to making your life better for yourself, because you're worth it. 

What I am reading now: Smile at Fear, Chögyam Trungpa

Maybe this video will help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzAJhW1cfdw

It also seems like you are distracting yourself with things like music, Instagram, Facebook [...], when you have to do something. When it comes to your weekend job you are excited and you are there on time. Do you notice something while reading this?