Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
charlie cho

Why We Are Fools

3 posts in this topic

1. i think I now understand the importance of knowing why we the egoes "must" be destroyed....

The buddha keeps calling us a fool. Now I understand why we are fools. We believe suffering will never come to us. So we cling to our objects thinking it will give us pleasure long. It does.... We feel pleasure.... Just like kids playing with our toys.... It's very pleasurable....... No hardship.... Until we go to school.... We begin to have problems. But pleasure never lasts, it never does. It Will never ever last long. Even the earth and the universe. but to cling to our bodies.... Is surely foolish. That's why the Buddha emphasizes the importance of losing our body, the world. It is we that cling to the world and the body. It is us, it is not the problem of the universe. We keep blaming the universe, body, our lack of money.... Etc.... But yet we never look at our selves to see that it is use that clings to these things. We are clinging to them... And that we are blaming that which is lost. We intuitively know everything will be lost.... But we still cling to them. 

Good example.... A disciplined person. Eating healthy, good to people. Loving, work hard, great relationships, great heart, ... He goes to the doctor because of a sore stomach. The doctor says he has cancer. He says "me? Why me? I work hard, I'm kind, good to people, I have a great heart, I excercise and eat healthy. Why me?" 

That person is still foolish. It clearly shows that he always believed that his body will never break down if he eats healthy... When actually the it is a natural process of the law of the universe to things to be born and die. So even though he had done healthy things.... And was "kind" to people.  He is still foolish to have believed that even his cared body will now betray his belief. But I'm not criticizing his care for health.... But all I'm criticizing is his belief that he will never suffer for clinging to the body.

whats wrong with clinging to the earth? Well even the earth will be destroyed. Even the whole galaxy.... And nothing will be left. Which is nothingness we are going for. I believe. 

Edited by charlie cho

You'd be are a fool if you think you understand why the buddha called us fools :P 

Yes we are all fools, and your idea is pretty good I must say. Maybe you are right, maybe you are not. You would be a fool if you thought you figured it out, and also a fool if you would deny this idea completely. But yeah your idea sounds pretty solid to me.