Jay Ray

What made YOU leave stage Blue? Share your story

21 posts in this topic

I was raised evangelical Christian (Baptist then Church of Christ). The thing that took me out of stage blue strangely is I went to bible college (it was actually a Pentecostal bible college). Weirdly (I’m sure this is not everyone’s experience) but studying the bible made me realise things were not black and white and a whole lot of grey came into my world.

I still stayed in the church until 10-15yrs later around 37yrs when I read a book called “So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore: An Unexpected Journey” by Wayne Jacobsen. This is when I left the church and went on another 8yr journey which took me through lots of religions and philosophies realising all roads can lead home. The last 6mths I’ve had bam, bam, bam moments which accelerated my journey to a point where I fully understand what I’ve known all along. That we were never separate and always whole, I just didn’t remember or believe it. 

I missed the last two questions.

Have you ever been one of those angry theists in your lifetime ?

Yes I was. I was pro-life, homophobic and judged anyone who fell slightly short of my standards whilst pretending to “love the sinner but hate the sin”.

If you met yourself from the past when you were at stage blue, what would you say or ask your self?

I probably wouldn’t say anything. Probably smile and wave just like the penguins in Madagascar fully knowing they’ll get there in the end. Practice love and non judgement as I know they are me and we were never separate. 

Edited by GoingHome
Missed questions