Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ethical Conduct For Enlightenment?

23 posts in this topic

This is an extremely complex & open ended topic. One that I have great difficulty explaining to people in a way that doesn't just make them think of nihilism. Morality as a concept is completely different to moral behaviour. If you were teaching a person to detach & live on autopilot you certainly wouldn't program their brains with "amoral" concepts or anything destructive - however, once enlightened, a person can deconstruct all concept of their moral concerns without much risk of amoral behaviour for various reasons. Once you are sensitive & insightful enough, your emotions & instincts become your guidance system yet you aren't identified with them & following them is optional - but wise. You recognise there is no you which makes feeling threatened much more difficult. Plus, you directly relate the rest of the world to yourself, so you understand that any harm you inflict on others is self destruction. We're capable of spinning anything in our mind to make it acceptable or humorous in concept yet in reality, the memory of how you suffered before... well, you just wouldn't want to inflict that on anyone. Even if someone pisses you off that badly. As I've been exploring the darker sides of humanity lately to find reconciliation with it, I've recently been in the presence of some seriously aggressive idiots & some pretty destructive thoughts have crossed my mind. Nonetheless, I have equal concern for the welfare of others as I have for mine & I know very well that I can teach them a lesson without "teaching them a lesson." There are hundreds of examples in nature of the passively vulnerable surviving unscathed. The victim asks to be victimised by a victim who is attacking to escape his victimhood. It is possible disarm him with compassionate indifference relative to his threats. A compassionate indifference which is reinforced by a lack of resistance to fear. A few weeks ago I shouted "shut up & listen" at a bunch of drunk guys who were fighting. One of them came over & punched me in the face. I went over to his group & asked him calmly why he did it. He apologised & shook my hand. They thought I was super cool & wanted to be friends - they were right! :P I did directly learn not to shout at people to stop fights though. Ultimately, as far as conduct is concerned I say learn, play, share, explore, make a movie of it! Do whatever, just don't make people suffer & try not to be abnoxious. No one likes that, not even abnoxious people. Respect people's wishes & appreciate where they are. If you're smart enough, you'll be able to prove alot without trying to prove anything. Encourage people! Make life easy for them! Line them up with a sure win wherever you can. If anything, demoralising has greatly improved my interactions with the world & made conversation of any nature with any person (as far as my knowledge permits) much more smooth & pleasurable. I like to find people's insecurities & gently expose them in a way that gets the recipient laughing or atleast comfortable. Because I don't hold onto any morals in concept does not mean I do not value moral behaviour or have ethical concern. Morality is wonderful in actuality but dangerous in theory & unfortunately many people are far from seperating theory from reality.

Edited by Binary Encoded Sunset

Yeh I agree, holding onto morality as a concept and as a predefined set of rules is dangerous. I do think it is necessary to make people think about the consequences of their actions though, especially those that want to go down this path of "enlightenment"

Your comment was insightful, and it is good to see another being on the path that is mature in these respects.

Edited by tryingforfreedom

Thank you! Perhaps I still struggle with ways to make consequences clear to people in ways that are encouraging rather than fear inspiring. Filling people with fear seems to just reinforce their conceptual ideals & invites them to go piss others off by telling them what is & isn't ok - which can be necessary but has it's downside without sounding equally encouraging & permissive. There's a time-space for everything! Either way, telling others what to do & not do will keep coming back to you - it's a little tedious!